Panasonic VIERA ST30A 3D plasma TV (preview)
Panasonic's cheapest 3D plasma TV still has good picture quality and some improvements from last year's models
- Cheaper than the VT30A and GT30A, but still Full HD 3D
- Panasonic's new video-on-demand looks good
- Video-on-demand is still better from Sony and Samsung and LG
- Designs are getting better, but they're still a bit boring
Panasonic's ST30A plasmas aren't even the company's best model, with the VT30A and GT30A both more expensive. Picture quality looks good from our short time with the screen, and there are more video-on-demand services than in last year's models. Other televisions from brands like Samsung, LG and Sony do have more features built in though, so the Panasonic ST30A will have to stand on the strength of its picture quality alone.
The Panasonic VIERA ST30A is the company's cheapest range of 3D TVs. There are five models, ranging from a modest 42in to a massive 65in, all with good picture quality credentials and modest improvements in features over last year's televisions.
Panasonic's VIERA Connect is the new name for the range of Web features and video on demand services built into its 2011 VIERA plasma and LED TVs. Last year's basic features (weather, YouTube, stocks and Picasa) have extended to include Facebook, Skype, Twitter and Yahoo!7 video on demand. This offering isn't as extensive as what Samsung, LG or even Sony's new TVs can offer, though — they have movies on demand as well as more comprehensive catch-up TV and other video services.
Because of this, we think the Panasonic ST30A — and other Panasonic plasmas — will need to distinguish themselves with excellent picture quality. We're confident they'll deliver as last year's models had excellent detail levels and great colour performance — but we'll have to see when we get our hands on one.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Hisense displays successors to amazing Series 7 ULED - Series 8 and 9
- Sony shows off its new OLED and LCD TVs, video projector, and Bluetooth speakers
- Sony’s Bravia XBR-A1E OLED could be the first flat-screen TV with sound that doesn’t suck
- Say goodbye to Apple's third-generation Apple TV
- Japan gears up for 8K TV broadcasting
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer x 2NSW
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPProject SchedulerVIC
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTIT Business Process Analyst x 3 - (government background)NSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Data Warehouse/ Statistical projectNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTHR Business Analyst / Performance Management SMENSW
- CCICT ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCOracle Middleware Production SupportACT
- FTAGILE Implementation Manager ContractNSW
- FTSenior Automation Test AnalystNSW
- FTTeam LeaderNSW
- FTPeoplesoft Functional Consultant - Campus SolutionsNSW
- FTLead Change Manager- Culture & Process ChangeNSW
- TPAPS6 Java DeveloperACT
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- FTQA LeadNSW
- CCCommunications Network EngineerWA
- FTSalesforce Senior Developer | Solution DesignerQLD
- FTJunior Applications SupportNSW
- FTSecurity Support AnalystNSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistSA