- Highly portable, great handling of high resolution images
- Not suitable for home theatre use, some chromatic aberrations on horizontal white lines
A great combination of portability and functionality, the Panasonic PT-LB51E is an attractive option for businesses looking for a lightweight and easy to use projector.
Price$ 1,649.00 (AUD)
Panasonic's PT-LB51E is a lightweight, slim business projector with a 4:3 aspect ratio and resolution of 1024 x 768. Designed primarily for portability, the LB51E also manages to deliver impressive image quality, and is more than capable of handling most presentation tasks. Although its small range of connection options limits its home theatre potential, it nevertheless is a well designed and highly functional business projector.
We started by testing the projector with a range of standard presentation tasks, including slideshows, images, and simple videos. Sharpness and clarity were great, and still images were clear with text easy to read. Even high resolution images didn't lose their finer detail. The one flaw we noticed was that white text, particularly on a black background, displayed some chromatic aberrations, with greens and reds leaking on the borders between the two colours. Moving text and video was clear and didn't suffer from any overt ghosting or loss of quality.
We then ran the projector through our range of DisplayMate Video Edition tests, in order to get a more specific idea of image problems. The PT-LB51E handled the vast majority of these tests excellently, with great grey levels and bright colours. We did notice the chromatic aberration again, however it appeared to be confined to horizontal lines. Otherwise, the projector handled the rest of the tests admirably, again showing its ability to reproduce high resolution images with minimal loss of detail.
Even a cursory glance at this unit shows that it's built for portability. Measuring 297x210mm (about the size of an A4 sheet of paper), and only 57mm in height, the PT-LB51E is designed to be carried around with a laptop or briefcase relatively easily. The design is compact and uniform, without protruding parts to make carrying the unit cumbersome. At 1.9kg, it's also relatively light.
The rear panel houses a limited array of connection options, including S-Video, composite, and two RGB inputs. An extra pair of audio inputs is also available for PC connection, although the size and form factor of the projector limit its inbuilt speakers from delivering massive amounts of power.
The lack of digital or high definition connections and the projector's weak speakers severely limit its home entertainment use, although it could relatively easily be used to play DVDs or standard definition digital TV. Its performance in this area is relatively average, although this can be excused due to its portability and business functionality.
The Panasonic PT-LB51E is a great business projector. A few image aberrations prevent it from being perfect, but its great handling of high resolution imagery and lightweight design make it a perfect business projector for those looking for a good combination of function and portability.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
- InFocus releases cheap short-throw projector
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 3 Support AnalystVIC
- CCTest AnalystWA
- FTSenior Software EngineerVIC
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCService ManagerACT
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)Other
- CCNetwork Engineer/ Network AdministratorQLD
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- TPICT Contracts Compliance ManagerWA
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- CCData Engineer (SQL/Big Data/Scala)VIC
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- FTMicrosoft ConsultantVIC
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- FTSenior IT Business Analyst - Permanent OpportunityNSW