- Highly portable, great handling of high resolution images
- Not suitable for home theatre use, some chromatic aberrations on horizontal white lines
A great combination of portability and functionality, the Panasonic PT-LB51E is an attractive option for businesses looking for a lightweight and easy to use projector.
Price$ 1,649.00 (AUD)
Panasonic's PT-LB51E is a lightweight, slim business projector with a 4:3 aspect ratio and resolution of 1024 x 768. Designed primarily for portability, the LB51E also manages to deliver impressive image quality, and is more than capable of handling most presentation tasks. Although its small range of connection options limits its home theatre potential, it nevertheless is a well designed and highly functional business projector.
We started by testing the projector with a range of standard presentation tasks, including slideshows, images, and simple videos. Sharpness and clarity were great, and still images were clear with text easy to read. Even high resolution images didn't lose their finer detail. The one flaw we noticed was that white text, particularly on a black background, displayed some chromatic aberrations, with greens and reds leaking on the borders between the two colours. Moving text and video was clear and didn't suffer from any overt ghosting or loss of quality.
We then ran the projector through our range of DisplayMate Video Edition tests, in order to get a more specific idea of image problems. The PT-LB51E handled the vast majority of these tests excellently, with great grey levels and bright colours. We did notice the chromatic aberration again, however it appeared to be confined to horizontal lines. Otherwise, the projector handled the rest of the tests admirably, again showing its ability to reproduce high resolution images with minimal loss of detail.
Even a cursory glance at this unit shows that it's built for portability. Measuring 297x210mm (about the size of an A4 sheet of paper), and only 57mm in height, the PT-LB51E is designed to be carried around with a laptop or briefcase relatively easily. The design is compact and uniform, without protruding parts to make carrying the unit cumbersome. At 1.9kg, it's also relatively light.
The rear panel houses a limited array of connection options, including S-Video, composite, and two RGB inputs. An extra pair of audio inputs is also available for PC connection, although the size and form factor of the projector limit its inbuilt speakers from delivering massive amounts of power.
The lack of digital or high definition connections and the projector's weak speakers severely limit its home entertainment use, although it could relatively easily be used to play DVDs or standard definition digital TV. Its performance in this area is relatively average, although this can be excused due to its portability and business functionality.
The Panasonic PT-LB51E is a great business projector. A few image aberrations prevent it from being perfect, but its great handling of high resolution imagery and lightweight design make it a perfect business projector for those looking for a good combination of function and portability.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
- InFocus releases cheap short-throw projector
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCData Engineer | Real Time StreamingNSW
- CCTIBCO Integration ConsultantVIC
- CCProgram Business Implementation Director- HR Payroll, FINSW
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- FTWeb & Mobile Solutions DeveloperNSW
- FTFunctional Business AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork SpecialistVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCSnr Technology Analyst Disaster RecoveryVIC
- FTFunctional Business Analyst Dynamic AXNSW
- CCDeemed Order Business SpecialistVIC
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW
- CCNetwork Engineer | DC Relocation |VoIP Refresh | CCNA | CCNPNSW
- FT.NET Developer (Angular JS/ SQL)WA
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- CCNetwork Access Specialist - Telecommunications (Apply now)!!NSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/Orcale/MySQL) 160531/SA/253Asia
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NV1VIC
- CCNetwork Technical ConsultantSA
- CCData Engineer (Java, Scala, Scripting, Hadoop, Spark)NSW
- CCSenior Systems AnalystSA
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- FTGraduate IT Support OfficerNSW