- Superb colour quality, true 3.1 megapixel digital still images, optical image stabiliser
- Only 10X optical zoom
If you want a great lens, vibrant colours and the ability to simply and easily send your video out to the Web--and don't need a large optical zoom--the Panasonic NV-GS250 should be near the top of your list.
Price$ 2,199.00 (AUD)
The Panasonic NV-GS250 is ideal for the more experienced videomakers and for video camera owners purchasing their second or third camcorder. At just over $2000 at the time of writing, it represents some of the best value around.
The NV-GS250 uses a dedicated charge-coupled device (CCD) for each of the three video colours (red, green and blue), unlike most video cameras that interpret all three colours with one CCD. Surprisingly, the NV-GS250 also includes an optical image stabiliser, which is another premium feature that usually adds hundreds of dollars to the price.
It includes a manual focus ring and onboard flash for still photos--a great addition when you consider the 3.1 megapixel stills and a wide range of shutter speeds available. A Web video mode captures MPEG-4 quality video to an SD card, while high quality video is captured to a standard MiniDV tape.
The NV-GS250 is a compact camcorder with a familiar form. It sits comfortably in the hand, with the important controls within easy reach of the index and middle fingers of the right hand. An excellent 10X optical zoom lens gives you variable speed zoom control, but 10X is considerably less than the 18X to 24X zooms now available on most single CCD MiniDV cameras.
The 2.5" LCD screen worked exceptionally well, even in daylight shooting, and an optical viewfinder is available for when conditions get too bright.
The NV-GS250 comes with a wired remote control, which also functions as a microphone. The wired remote is about 8cm long and has several control buttons. At the bottom, there is the Talk button with the PhotoShot button on top. There is also a zoom toggle switch below the record button. On the top of the wand-like remote is the microphone.
The colour performance of the NV-GS250 was as good as you would expect from a quality 3CCD camera. The low-light performance was also surprisingly good.
The top-loading tape mechanism makes the NV-GS250 an ideal camera to use when taking video on a tripod, as you can change tapes without having to dismount the camera.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
- Presto finds an unlikely ally in Quickflix
- Olympus targets movie makers with OM-D E-M5 Mark II camera
- Foxtel bands with Seven Network ahead of Neftlix's upcoming launch
- SanDisk eyes 4K video market with high-speed 512GB SD card
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCInformatica ExpertNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC
- CCWintel Support EngineerNSW
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCProject SchedulerNSW
- CCData Migration SpecialistQLD
- CCProject Manager - Customer Engagement / NPSVIC
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- CCIT Service Deliver & Improvement ManagerACT
- CCRecords Officer - CanberraACT
- CCImmediate iOS Developer Required - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCInformation ArchitectQLD
- FTJava Web Development OpportunityVIC
- FTApplication Packaging & Deployments Team LeaderNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - CanberraNSW
- FTIT Security Governance ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-bAsia
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCCisco Network EngineerNSW
- CCETL DeveloperNSW