- Mic and headphone jacks, top loading tape mechanism, Image quality
- No built in lens cap, no built in flash
It’s not a huge step forward, but at this price, it’s exceptional value for money for such good image quality.
Price$ 1,099.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- LUMIX DMC-LX7K 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x... 1219.99
Panasonic's use of three-CCD (charge-coupled device) technology in consumer-grade camcorders has clearly been a success. The number of models available has been growing steadily. But with so many options now, Panasonic's own range is starting to compete within itself. All offer great video quality, with the main differentiator being the features included.
The NV-GS180 is the successor to the mid-range NV-GS150, and its specifications are remarkably similar. It's still based around a trio of 1/6 inch 0.8 megapixel CCDs, offering true 2.3 megapixel still images at 1,760x1,320. However, it lacks the NV-GS150's, built-in lens cap, relying on a clip-on plastic cap instead. The latter's built-in flash has also been removed, so this model isn't quite as good at doubling as a stills camera.
Despite its budget price tag, the NV-GS180 offers microphone and headphone jacks, with a regular accessory shoe on the top for external add-ons. The tape mechanism is top-loading, so you won't have any trouble changing media when the Panasonic is screwed to a tripod.
The little joystick on the back gives immediate access to various options, including shutter and iris settings and video gain. In Focus mode, the joystick is also used for manual focusing - this is a little fiddly but workable. You'll need to enter the full menu to enable one of the five auto-exposure modes, which include the usual suspects.
As we've come to expect from Panasonic's three-chip consumer range, image quality was a cut above most similarly priced single-chip camcorders. This was particularly noticeable in low light or when shooting indoors. The only down side was that the GS180 uses electronic image stabilisation, which works well in good lighting but isn't so effective in poor illumination - and you can't use it at all in widescreen mode.
The Panasonic NV-GS180 doesn't seem like a huge step forward from its NV-GS150, predecessor; it's a touch shorter and lighter, and misses the flash and integrated lens cap, but otherwise offers very similar features. Nonetheless, assuming street prices match the Panasonic's recommended retail price, this is exceptional value for such good video quality.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
- Presto finds an unlikely ally in Quickflix
- Olympus targets movie makers with OM-D E-M5 Mark II camera
- Foxtel bands with Seven Network ahead of Neftlix's upcoming launch
- SanDisk eyes 4K video market with high-speed 512GB SD card
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCObjective ECMS Technical ConsultantSA
- CCIteration Manager/ Sprint Manager- PenrithNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer(Crystal Report/Oracle)160127/AP/vhsAsia
- CCIT Service Deliver & Improvement ManagerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-bAsia
- CCSenior Project Manager - ComplianceVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (Website/PHP development) 160122/SA/vmtAsia
- CCService Desk ManagerVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCSAP Primavera Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCMVC .Net Developer- Hurstville NSW 2220NSW
- FTFull Stack & Mobile EngineersNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PEXASA
- FTInternal Audit ConsultantACT
- CCSAP Basis Admin with JavaACT
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCHelpdesk SupportNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- FTUI DeveloperNSW
- CCRecords Officer - CanberraACT
- FTBusiness Analyst (SCADA / CSI)VIC