Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX8
- Small, stylish, very fast, great colour, nice features
- Still very minor lag in certain spots, missing a few features that experienced photographers may want
A wonderful camera that looks good, feels good and takes great shots. Highly recommended.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
The handsome sibling of Panasonic's DMC-LZ2 model, the DMC-FX8 takes the good parts of that model and builds on them, creating a highly desirable and incredibly stylish camera. One of the smaller models we've reviewed in this category, it is built out of slick silver metal and is slightly smaller than a pack of cards. Despite its size, however, it manages to pack on a 2.5" LCD.
All the controls are well placed, giving the impression of space on a very small device. We particularly liked the thumbwheel.
The 5.0 megapixel sensor takes great pictures. The colour is perhaps not quite as good as that of the DMC-LZ2, but it's still damn fine. Panasonic has worked at eliminating the blurring that occurs at the edge of the pictures, and while it is still present, it's minimal. Image lag was not a problem with the DMC-FX8; it had very fast recovery times.
The DMC-FX8 has a lot of preset scene modes, including Baby, Soft Skin and Food. It only has a mediocre range of manual controls, but its unlimited continuous shot function is great. The camera does not slow down as you take more shots, which means you really can capture images until your memory is full. The camera also has an image stabiliser that works well.
The DMC-FX8 comes with a lithium ion battery, which lasts for more than 400 shots and is a much better alternative to basic AAs.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
- Canon goes big on resolution with 250-megapixel sensor
- Hey, Saturn, take a selfie! World's biggest digital camera will photograph the universe
- GoPro Hero4 Session: half the size, waterproof to 10 metres
- Sony wants to bring 4K video capabilities to more digital cameras
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- CCWeb / Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTDigital ManagerNSW