- Excellent images, no compression artefacts, easy to use TV guide
- No firewire, scheduling restrictions.
The DMR-EH50S makes high-quality recordings and is easy to use, but some users may not like the TV Guide On Screen program guide.
Price$ 659.00 (AUD)
A svelte DVD recorder with a 100GB hard drive, Panasonic's DMR-EH50S impresses on many levels. In our tests, it produced excellent videos recordings with bright, vivid colors that made events like explosions look extremely realistic. Images also showed great contrast, with deep blacks to go along with those vivid colors. The motion of the video was smooth and lacked the compression artifacts that we saw on some other recorders.
This model uses the easy-to-navigate TV Guide on-screen program guide. TV Guide On Screen lets you schedule a recording by selecting a program from the grid; you can choose a single recording or you can record at the same time every day or week. Nevertheless, it isn't as flexible as the TiVo service: You can't use TV Guide On Screen to schedule recordings of every episode of a show (such as every episode of The Simpsons, regardless of channel), or to record only new episodes. Ads that support the TV Guide service occupy nearly a third of the screen, and squeezing the grid into the remaining space means that you can see only a couple of hours ahead on the program guide.
The remote control is thoughtfully designed: Buttons for commonly used functions such as play, stop, fast-forward, and rewind, have different colors from the others and are larger, which helps them fall naturally under the user's thumb. The remote has an innovative touch, too: Instead of working with the standard directional keys, you scroll through menus via a rotating wheel (rather like the one on an iPod).The unit's on-screen menu is easy to use, but its small text and preview windows for editing video may be difficult to read if you use it on a small TV.
The 100GB hard drive, while not the largest we saw, is big enough to hold a good chunk of video - up to 177 hours in the lowest quality mode. A nice touch: If you're recording direct to DVD and the disc doesn't have enough space for a scheduled recording, the unit will automatically record your program on the hard drive.
The DMR-EH50S copied programs from the hard drive to DVD briskly: We clocked it at just over 6 minutes, for a 1-hour TV program. The recorder is among the most versatile we have seen: It can write to DVD-R, -RW, +R, and +RW discs, as well as to DVD-RAM discs.
One curious omission: This is the only recorder we looked at that lacks a FireWire port for copying movies from a digital camcorder. On the other hand, it has an SD Card slot for copying still images (which a digital camera or camcorder typically saves to it) to the hard drive or DVD.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCProject Coordinator l Large Media Capital Investment ProgramNSW
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)ACT
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- TPData AnalystWA
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Telco Networks EngineeringVIC
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- TPEnvironment Specialist(DevOps)QLD
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT
- FTCustomer Support/Helpdesk Support SpecialistQLD