- Excellent images, no compression artefacts, easy to use TV guide
- No firewire, scheduling restrictions.
The DMR-EH50S makes high-quality recordings and is easy to use, but some users may not like the TV Guide On Screen program guide.
Price$ 659.00 (AUD)
A svelte DVD recorder with a 100GB hard drive, Panasonic's DMR-EH50S impresses on many levels. In our tests, it produced excellent videos recordings with bright, vivid colors that made events like explosions look extremely realistic. Images also showed great contrast, with deep blacks to go along with those vivid colors. The motion of the video was smooth and lacked the compression artifacts that we saw on some other recorders.
This model uses the easy-to-navigate TV Guide on-screen program guide. TV Guide On Screen lets you schedule a recording by selecting a program from the grid; you can choose a single recording or you can record at the same time every day or week. Nevertheless, it isn't as flexible as the TiVo service: You can't use TV Guide On Screen to schedule recordings of every episode of a show (such as every episode of The Simpsons, regardless of channel), or to record only new episodes. Ads that support the TV Guide service occupy nearly a third of the screen, and squeezing the grid into the remaining space means that you can see only a couple of hours ahead on the program guide.
The remote control is thoughtfully designed: Buttons for commonly used functions such as play, stop, fast-forward, and rewind, have different colors from the others and are larger, which helps them fall naturally under the user's thumb. The remote has an innovative touch, too: Instead of working with the standard directional keys, you scroll through menus via a rotating wheel (rather like the one on an iPod).The unit's on-screen menu is easy to use, but its small text and preview windows for editing video may be difficult to read if you use it on a small TV.
The 100GB hard drive, while not the largest we saw, is big enough to hold a good chunk of video - up to 177 hours in the lowest quality mode. A nice touch: If you're recording direct to DVD and the disc doesn't have enough space for a scheduled recording, the unit will automatically record your program on the hard drive.
The DMR-EH50S copied programs from the hard drive to DVD briskly: We clocked it at just over 6 minutes, for a 1-hour TV program. The recorder is among the most versatile we have seen: It can write to DVD-R, -RW, +R, and +RW discs, as well as to DVD-RAM discs.
One curious omission: This is the only recorder we looked at that lacks a FireWire port for copying movies from a digital camcorder. On the other hand, it has an SD Card slot for copying still images (which a digital camera or camcorder typically saves to it) to the hard drive or DVD.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior SQL Database AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Data Warehouse ConsultantNSW
- TPSQL Server DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Lead - FinTech - Product DevelopmentNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPSecurity Controls Specialist - ISO 27002VIC
- CCMaster Data Analyst - SAPNSW
- FTSenior MS Dynamics CRM Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCSoftware Licencing SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Infrastructure / LogisticsNSW
- CCPlatform Engineer - DevOpsVIC
- FTWindows Server Engineer MCSE, SCCM, SCOM, PowershellNSW
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- CCSystems Engineer (Netapp/Windows)NSW
- FTVDI EngineerACT
- TPProject Reporting DeveloperSA
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsACT
- CCAutomation TesterNSW
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystNSW
- TPWeb DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Finance Business Analyst, Superannuation, WealthNSW
- TPPMO LeadNSW
- FTSAP Solution ArchitectsACT
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTInternal Recruitment Coordinator / Talent Acquisitio ConsultantNSW