Panasonic's DMP-BD35 is a fantastic entry-level Blu-ray disc player.
- Very good picture quality, stylish, good price, Blu-ray Live
- DVD up-scaling produces mixed results, no 7.1 analog audio outputs
If you're in the market for a Blu-ray player and you don't want to spend too much, the Panasonic DMP-BD35 represents excellent value for money.
Price$ 495.00 (AUD)
Panasonic's DMP-BD35 is a feature-packed and reasonably priced Blu-ray disc player. If you are looking for a unit to jump onto the Blu-ray bandwagon with, it should definitely be on your list.
Its stylish body is just 50mm tall, with a matte black finish. An SD card slot sits on the lower-right side of the fascia, under a barely noticeable flap. This is good news for users wanting to quickly browse images or movies taken with compatible cameras and camcorders. We would like to start seeing USB 2.0 host ports on BD players, too.
The DMP-BD35 supports Profile 2.0 BD-Live. This means that the RJ-45 port on the back of the unit will let you log onto the Internet with the right connection and access firmware updates as well as extra online content with a compatible movie.
The DMP-BD35 features a HDMI 1.3a output, which is capable of carrying the Blu-ray standard's 7.1-channel uncompressed audio. If you're stuck with using analog you'll be disappointed by the lack of 7.1 analogue connections, but there is an optical digital audio output. An S-Video output and component video outputs are provided as well.
The picture quality when playing Blu-ray movies is nothing short of stunning and fast-motion playback is smooth. Images are detailed and natural. Unfortunately, we weren't as impressed with the DMP-BD35 as a DVD up-scaler. Image noise and jagged edges marred the climatic fight scene from V for Vendetta, with fast motion causing significant blurring. However, the quality is on par for the player's price point and is far better than what a standard DVD player can provide when using a large-screen television such as the Samsung Series 8 (LA52A850) we used for testing.
Sound quality is excellent, with Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD outputted in a bitstream format, making it possible for the latest A/V receivers to pump out cinema-quality sound.
This entry-level Blu-ray player is a good choice for someone looking to dip their feet into high-definition waters without spending too much.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- FTDesign and Engineering - Technical WriterWA
- CCOracle DevelopersACT
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCData/ Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Cognos/JAVA/J2EE) 160831/SA/122Asia
- FTJr .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- CCITIL- Technical Release CoordinatorNSW
- FTJava Tech Lead - Full StackNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160824/AP/531Asia
- CCFunctional & System Integration Test AnalystACT
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- CCProject Manager - open source softwareACT
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT