Palm Tungsten E2
- Excellent display quality, fast processor
- No Wi-Fi, no camera nor voice recorder
The low-cost Palm Tungsten E2 is a comfortable entry level model for business users.
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
The E2 is an upgrade from the popular Tungsten E, featuring a faster processor, a brighter screen and Bluetooth 1.1 connectivity.
The E2 has retained the lightweight but sturdy silver plastic casing of its predecessor and, at 133 grams, is almost exactly the weight. Measuring 11.4 x 7.9 x 1.5cm, the E2 is not the smallest handheld, but it's a convenient sized nonetheless.
The front of the E2 is dominated by the 3.7" TFT touch screen. The screen has a resolution of 320 x 320 and excellent colour rendering, enabling the E2 to perform well both in low-light and daylight conditions.
Below the screen is an input area for the stylus--the E2 does not include a keyboard (a portable keyboard is an optional extra). Palm has conveniently included four shortcut icons in the input area for the Home, Menu, Favorites and Search options. At the bottom of the unit are four other shortcut buttons for Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Notepad access. A five-way navigation button completes the interface.
Much of the improvement over the Tungsten E can be ascribed to the E2's processing power; it's equipped with a 200MHz Intel processor. Palm has also increased the memory, and the 32MB of non-volatile file system (NVFS) memory available means data stored in here is not lost when the battery runs out. The E2 has a memory card slot at the top that supports SD, SDIO and MMC expansion cards.
The E2 runs on Palm OS 5.4, and supports essential business software such Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and includes software for viewing Adobe documents. It includes calendar and contacts management tools, and can synchronise email with Microsoft Outlook. The E2 comes with a photo viewer, but because it is aimed at business users, does not ship with a camera or a voice recorder.
The E2 can also serve as an MP3 player and sound can be played through a standard set of headphones or through the inbuilt speaker. For connectivity, the E2 provides USB (using a multiconnector USB cable), infrared and Bluetooth capability, but it lacks inbuilt Wi-Fi support.
The E2 battery is recharged with an AC adapter and the PDA has a battery life of about five hours.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- This sticker can wirelessly charge your smartphone or tablet
- Google's modular smartphone project sacrificed its original vision to move forward
- Android device updates: HTC 10 is getting stability fixes and preview 3 is headed to Android N
- Google I/O 2016: Every Android app – really – is coming to Chrome
- Zip! Pow! Google debuts Android Instant Apps that load without installation
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCBusiness Analyst, LifeNSW
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- FTCloud ArchitectAsia
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Mobile DeveloperWA
- CCDeployment Engineer / IT AuditorQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCOpen Source Specialist / Senior ConsultantQLD
- FTData EngineersNSW
- FTManaging Security ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCCCB & MDM ConsultantNSW
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- CCSenior Sharepoint DeveloperACT
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- FTWeb & Mobile Solutions DeveloperNSW
- CCSecurity Administrative Support OfficerACT
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FTNetwork SpecialistVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence (BI) AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- FT.NET DevelopersQLD