Mojo SDK 1.1
With Palm's WebOS and development tools, Web programming ascends to the throne and powers the app layer, but Palm's platform is clearly a work in progress
- Web-based paradigm is well understood by many developers, model-view-controller structure is widely embraced, open architecture for the tools encourages integration with Eclipse and other environments
- Rough edges everywhere in the documentation and the functionality, game programmers can't get at OpenGL or the lowest layers easily.
When the Palm Pre appeared two months ago, the world took one look at the graceful curves and immediately decided there was finally a contender that might stand a chance of attracting some of the crowds clustered around the iPhone. While the Palm Pre's shell may lure some buyers, the software on the inside is just as important. After all, smartphones are just computers for our pockets, and the depth and breadth of software available is a big selling point.
To test this out, I built a few phone apps with the Palm Mojo SDK and came away thrilled with the simplicity. The Mojo SDK doesn't have the word "beta" floating around it, even though it's much younger than many other products that still sport the label. I think it would be fair to apply it here. The general outline of the system is solid and usable, but there are numerous rough edges and dark, undocumented corners. These should be easy for Palm to fix with ample time and attention.
The SDK comes with an emulator, an inspector, a few command-line tools for compiling the code, and some samples. Many people will probably want to get the extensions for Eclipse that hide the command-line complexity and handle the compilation and installation for you. Eclipse is used by most other smartphone manufacturers as well.
The Mojo tools show flashes of genius but often reveal strange glitches. The Inspector would often get disconnected from the Emulator, so I couldn't use it to dig into the structure of the running application. Debugging is an exercise in command-line fun because you ssh into the emulator to look at the processes. I'm hoping for something like Firebug in the future.
The options are coming quickly because of the relative openness of the platform. There are now extensive automatic completion routines for WebOS programming for the Komodo editor from ActiveState Software. I'm sure other tool companies will jump on board.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCDatabase AdministratorNSW
- FTRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- FTTechnical LeadWA
- CCSenior Tester - Automation / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW
- FTService Desk ManagerNSW
- FTProject Manager- Change ManagementSA
- CCStrategic Business AnalystNSW
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Scrum MasterNSW
- CCReport Business Analyst- BI, Oracle, SAP, TableauNSW
- FTFull stack (back end focus) Java Developer | Defence | NV1ACT
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- FTDefence Network Architect | NV2ACT
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- CCProject Engineer -VIC
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- CCProject Support Officer (Project Scheduler)WA
- CCTest ManagerNSW