- Wi-Fi support, Bluetooth, large screen and memory
- Expensive, slightly large
While expensive, the LifeDrive is an excellent PDA packed full of features, and it would surely satisfy even the most demanding of business users.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
Palm's LifeDrive mobile manager is a sleek, silver device that not only looks good, but is packed full of features, including a 4GB hard drive, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support.
The LifeDrive's sturdy silver casing looks professional. Unlike the Palm Tungsten E2, the stylus input area is built into the screen, which is significantly larger than most other models. Below the screen is an easy-on-the-fingers, five-way navigational button as well as four convenient customisable shortcut buttons for Home, Files, Media and PocketTunes. The LifeDrive does not include a keyboard, but it's an optional accessory.
The LifeDrive has a large 320 x 480 TFT touch screen with support for 65,000 colours. It looks good in both low-light and daytime conditions and its colour and brightness are very impressive. A handy feature of the LifeDrive is its rotating screen, which changes to portrait or landscape orientation when you press a button on the side of the PDA. This is particularly useful for viewing and working with Microsoft Office documents.
The LifeDrive is powered by Intel's 416MHz XScale processor and contains 16MB of ROM. It has a rechargeable lithium ion battery, and a memory card slot at the top which supports SD, SDIO and MMC cards. The LifeDrive battery (non-removable) can be recharged by an AC adapter.
Running Palm OS 5.4, the LifeDrive comes with the usual Palm applications, plus DataViz's Documents To Go for viewing and editing Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and converted PDF files. It also includes calendar, contacts and task management applications, and can synchronise email with Microsoft Outlook.
The LifeDrive comes with a photo viewer and a voice recorder. The large, vibrant screen was great for viewing photos, while the voice recorder was clear and the sound quality good for a unit this size. This PDA can also be used as an MP3 player, with sound provided by a standard set of stereo headphones (not included), or the PDA's speaker. While the speaker does its job, the sound quality wasn't great for audio files.
Measuring 12.1 x 7.3 x 1.9cm and weighing 192.8 grams, the LifeDrive is slightly heavier and larger than most of its PDA contemporaries, but it still fits nicely in your hand.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Lenovo to integrate Amazon Alexa in Moto smartphones
- HMD's new Nokia 3310 turns back the clock -- and turns heads
- Huawei showcases new phones in Barcelona, gets mobbed by eager crowds
- Huawei's P10 camera-phone comes in more colors than the rainbow
- Nokia now has three budget Android phones in its arsenal, but everyone is going to want the 3310
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- TPSolution Architect - Office 365QLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA
- FTProject / Implementation Coordinator (Junior-Mid Level) Sunshine Coast LocationQLD
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- CCGun Java Developer wanted...VIC
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- CCSecurity Analyst - multiple rolesACT
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCAgile CoachNSW
- FTITIL Service ManagerVIC
- TPMaster SchedulerNSW
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC