OXX Pocket DAB+ digital radio
OXX Digital Pocket review: An impressive portable digital radio that comes bundled with great earphones
- Great headphones, easy to operate, sturdy design
- No internal rechargeable battery
The OXX Digital Pocket is the best portable digital radio that we've reviewed and it's bundled with great a-Jays earphones. It's also good value.
Price$ 139.95 (AUD)
The OXX Digital Pocket is exactly what a portable digital radio should be: FM-capable as well as supporting DAB+ radio, easy to use, compact, durable and able to provide good reception. To top it off, it's also bundled with a pair of a-Jays One earphones.
It's similar in design and operation to the Bush Walker digital radio, but the OXX Digital Pocket is a superior product.
Unlike the Bush Walker, which seemed slightly flimsy and fragile, the Pocket feels sturdy in your hand, with the entire back cover finished in matte black plastic. The front of the Pocket has the same layout as the Bush Walker, with simple buttons and a backlit dual-line LCD. Scanning for stations, setting presets and adjusting volume and station is a breeze.
The Pocket is operated by two AA batteries so a pair of rechargeable batteries will save you money if you listen to the radio regularly. Reception was excellent when we tested it in the Sydney CBD, with both digital and FM stations clear and audible.
The bundling of Jays' entry level a-Jays One earphones is a huge incentive for people to buy the OXX Digital Pocket DAB+ digital radio. Although the earphones provided with the Bush Walker and Grundig Roam are adequate, the a-Jays One earphones blows them away. The bass is not too overpowering, with mid and treble tones crystal clear. The a-Jays One headphones also have a tangle-free cord and five pairs of silicone sleeves that do a great job of filtering out background noise.
We were very impressed with the OXX Digital Pocket DAB+ digital radio — we think it is the best portable digital radio to have passed through our Test Centre.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen) review: Raising the bar
- 2 Xiaomi Mi4 review: Xiaomi's best yet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Note Edge review: Lightly flawed, Undeniably special
- 4 Sony Xperia Z3 review: The no-frills flagship
- 5 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Google Now adds data from Lyft, Airbnb and many more apps
- Outlook app for Android and iOS boosts Microsoft's mobile comeback
- MIT randomizes tasks to speed massive multicore processors
- NEC aims at Big Data 'sweet spot' with new SAP Hana tool
- Uber will fight to keep its Boston ride data private
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.