Orb Audio People's Choice home theatre system
These spherical satellite speakers have startling sound quality
- Excellent clarity, great quality mid-bass from subwoofer, super-modern looks
- Only suitable for small and medium rooms, competent amplifier required, no banana plug connectors
If you're looking for a compact home theatre system that has great sound quality, Orb Audio's People's Choice home theatre system is one of the most competent we've heard. Available for a surprisingly reasonable price, the system is stylish and well suited to medium-sized listening areas. We noticed a small amount of distortion at high volume levels; for all but the most strenuous listening the People's Choice system performed well, however.
Price$ 1,184.00 (AUD)
Note: the Orb Audio People's Choice is priced at US$1098. The price listed above is the approximate cost in Australia dollars at the time of this review.
The Orb Audio People's Choice home theatre system is a set of five satellite speakers and a powered subwoofer. Despite needing to be shipped from the US, the system isn't excessively expensive. The speakers can be ordered in a huge range of different configurations and finishes, allowing for significant customisation. Sound quality from the small satellite speakers is good, with high levels of detail, and the compact subwoofer is capable of delivering significant low-frequency punch.
The People's Choice home theatre system is, unsurprisingly, the most popular configuration ordered off Orb Audio's Web site. Consisting of double-speaker front and centre channels and single-speaker rears, it allows for 5.1 surround sound in its default packaging — but you can get additional channels for 6.1 or 7.1 sound. You can also select triple- or quadruple-speaker designs for any channel, increasing power handling and volume output. The speakers take bare wire connections — no banana plug connections are available — and you'll need to supply an amplifier yourself. We used the more-than-capable Pioneer VSX-LX52 to supply the 110W that each individual speaker can handle. Our test system was finished in copper, but glossy black, white, steel and bronze finishes can also be selected for an additional price.
The Orb Audio People's Choice home theatre system delivers on its promise of big-speaker sound quality in a small package. The small satellite speakers are able to output crisp, clear audio with a slight emphasis on sweet treble, making them great for movie dialogue. Mid-range is also well represented though slightly recessed — we found that a little boost from our amplifier's equaliser brought out the warmth in vocals and acoustic music. When listening to a properly mastered surround audio track — a few scenes from Terminator: Salvation and The Dark Knight caught our attention — the speakers performed exceptionally well, soundly beating similar sized 'home theatre in a box' setups from other companies such as Sony and LG.
Detail levels are excellent with subtle audio cues easily audible in both treble and mid-range frequencies. We often felt as if we were listening to much larger speakers. The system has reasonable spatial definition and the two front left and right stereo speakers are able to create a wide soundstage when placed an appropriate distance apart.
Bass performance was also excellent in almost all areas given the small size of the system. We used the Super Eight subwoofer, which relies on its namesake 8in driver and 200W in-built amplifier to produce strong bass from as low as 28Hz. It doesn't have the stomach-trembling power of a 12in driver, but its low frequency performance was tight and almost free of annoying decay or bloat. We had no problems cranking this subwoofer to high volumes, with no evident over-extension or audible distortion. While each small speaker can handle an impressive amount of volume, the system does start to struggle at high power levels. Harshness begins to creep in on treble and the sound generally becomes less composed and more ragged. If you have a large home theatre room we'd certainly opt for some of the triple- or quadruple-speaker towers for the increased power handling — but this will involve a significant price hike.
Orb Audio's People's Choice home theatre system is an excellent performer for small and medium sized rooms, giving detailed audio in a compact package with modern styling. If you don't want traditionally squat, heavy speakers cluttering your living space, give these a try. The company offers a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy, though you will have to pay shipping costs both ways if you change your mind.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- TPProject Technical LeadQLD
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- CCProject Scheduler-Port MacquarieQLD
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- CCArcSight Security Engineer - Contract - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- CCProject Specialist l Large Media Capital Investment ProgramNSW
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- FTClient Delivery ManagerSA
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPDigital Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Software EngineerVIC