Optus E153 USB mobile broadband modem
Optus E153 USB modem review: A simple USB modem with plug-and-play support, but low speeds
- Relatively slim design, ease of use, microSD card slot
- Only capable of 3.6Mbps speeds
The Optus E153 USB mobile broadband modem is simple and hassle-free to set up, but isn't capable of very fast downloads.
Price$ 49.00 (AUD)
Optus' latest USB mobile broadband modem, the E153, offers plug-and-play support for both Windows and Mac computers and has a microSD card slot, but it only supports download speeds of up to 3.2 megabits per second (Mbps).
Read our guide to the best prepaid mobile broadband modems.
The Optus E153 USB mobile broadband modem is about as exciting as most other USB modems. It's lightweight and finished in reasonably attractive white plastic. It has a slide off rear that reveals its microSD and SIM card slots. The microSD card slot allows it to double as a portable flash drive.
The Optus E153 USB modem is relatively slim, but it still prevented access to the second USB port on our 13in MacBook Pro. On larger notebooks this shouldn't be a problem though, and it is more of a fault on Apple's part. The Optus E153 USB modem doesn't have a rotating USB connector to reduce the risk of bumping it when connected to your notebook, and also lacks the external antenna port often seen on Telstra mobile broadband modems.
The software required to use the Optus mobile broadband service is stored on the modem itself and is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS X computers. The software is easy to install and allows you to quickly access your prepaid account details and see sent and received data.
The Optus E153 USB modem has a theoretical maximum download speed of 3.6Mbps and a maximum upload speed of 1.3Mbps, which is slower than most new devices. Optus claims the E153 will provide typical real-world speeds of between 550 kilobits per second (Kbps) and 2Mbps, but as with all mobile broadband devices the actual speed achieved will depend on a number of factors such as your location and equipment, network usage and coverage, and network congestion at the time.
Using our Broadband Speed Test, the Optus E153 USB mobile broadband modem managed to achieve download speeds of around 2Mbps, but regularly downloaded at around 1.4Mbps. Upload speeds were stable at around 700Kbps, but did hit 1Mbps on occasions.
Optus sells the E153 USB modem for $49 and includes 1GB of data in the starter pack that is valid for 30 days.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Why TPG left Optus for Vodafone
- Sky Muster takes the nbn into space (+27 photos)
- Foxtel more than doubles broadband data allowances
- Optus discounts unlimited Internet bundles, available from $95 a month
- Families can pool data with Optus' aggressively priced smartphone plans
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCOracle Fusion SOA/BPEL DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/Oracle/Web) 160603/SA/871Asia
- CCLinux AdministratorVIC
- FT.NET DevelopersQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst, AdviceNSW
- CCIT Environment and Deployment SpecialistQLD
- CCiOS Developer x 2NSW
- CCTechnical Solutions Specialist - Software Developer (Client facing)NSW
- FTSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NV1VIC
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCProgram Business AnalystVIC
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- FTDynamics Project ManagerNSW
- CCPHP / Magento E-Commerce DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical WriterNSW
- CCJunior / Mid Level Java Developer - Developing Restful Microservice SolutionsVIC
- FTInformatica Powercenter SpecialistNSW
- FTScrum MasterVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160520/AP/985Asia
- FTNetwork SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Manager NetworksNSW
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTInfrastructure Specialist VMwareNSW
- FTJunior Web Developer | CBD | Digital AgencyVIC