Opera Software Opera 8
Price$ None (AUD)
Opera has always concentrated on new features that soon seem indispensable (it was the first browser to support tabbed windows, for example).
Similarly, mouse gestures - move through pages by holding down the right key and moving your pointer left or right - soon become second nature. The interface has had a major overhaul, other new features include the Fit-to-window option (to avoid horizontal scrolling), and better support for removing pop-ups (no longer all-or-nothing as with SP2's amendments to Internet Explorer). You also get voice control.
In the past, Opera had much difficulty rendering certain Web pages. While this may be the fault of developers, it was still a nuisance. A development that's not new to version 8 but works well in this release is that the browser can now "spoof" itself as Internet Explorer (or Firefox) and this works quite well.
Opera is fast and secure, instantly rendering pages that can take a few seconds in other applications. The options to delete private data are much better than Internet Explorer and clicking on the padlock icon for secure sites provides information about who operates the security certificate for them.
Opera 8 is a slick and fully featured browser, but Opera is the only browser to make you use either a version with advertisements or pay for an ad-free version. In general, those adverts are easy to ignore if you don't want to shell out.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectACT
- FTCyber Security Sales Executive / Account DirectorNSW
- CCSAP ABAP DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCWebSphere Message BrokerACT
- CCBI-Business Intelligence Technical LeadNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCSAP ArchitectSA
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCPortfolio Delivery ManagerACT
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- CCSenior Systems Integration Engineer (HIB)SA
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - TaxVIC
- CCChange AnalystNSW