OpenTel ODT 4200 PVR
- Accessible on-screen interface, good remote, dual tuners
- Crummy timeshifting, no HD support
An inexpensive digital PVR, the OpenTel lacks anything to really knock your socks off.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
With an 80GB internal hard disk and the most basic of feature sets, the OpenTel ODT 4200PVR is not going to set anybody's world on fire. It's serviceable, however, as long as you're not a huge fan of timeshifting.
The timeshifting implementation can be charitably described as poor. It's not always on--you have to initialise it manually--and then the whole system pauses for a few seconds before it kicks in. Fast-forwarding through the timeshift buffer is jerky and inconsistent--and you can't rewind at all.
The 4200PVR does not support HD at all, though it does have two internal tuners, allowing you to watch one SDTV program while recording another. It uses an aerial loop-through, so you only need one aerial source for both tuners. The supplied remote is of a very high quality--solid and comfortable, allowing easy access to the most desirable functions of the PVR. Your list of recorded programs can be made to appear at the touch of a button, as can the interface for scheduling new recordings. It also has a couple of handy buttons that allow you to jump from channel multiplex to multiplex, skipping all the simulcast channels that are so common in Australian DTV.
The on-screen interface is also easily navigable, and very responsive. The pause between channel changes has been kept to a minimum, saving you from one of the most frustrating aspects of digital television set-top boxes. Scheduling recordings is extremely well implemented; the task can be accomplished in a matter of seconds. EPG information is kept with the recorded video, so you don't have to figure out what that program you recorded on July 7 at 10:00 might be.
The OpenTel can connect to your TV set via an antenna cable or through the TV's composite RCA inputs. It also boasts two SCART outputs, as well as an S/PDIF port for digital audio.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCFMW DevelopersACT
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSAP BODS ConsultantNSW
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Engineer | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearanceACT
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows) 160804/ITA/151Asia
- FTPortfolio Governance AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Security SpecialistNSW
- FTFull stack (back end focus) Java Developer | Defence | NV1ACT
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- FTDesktop Support Engineer (Renewable Contract)Asia
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCTest CoordinatorQLD
- FTSecurity ExpertACT
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Logistic and TransportVIC
- CCAgile Delivery ManagerACT
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCIT/Telco Graduate | 12mth ContractVIC
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- FTGraduate IT supportNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperACT