Olympus XZ-1 digital camera (preview)
Olympus rolls out a rival to Canon's PowerShot S95
- Image quality
- Ease of use
- Slight lens distortion
- Could use some control tweaks
If you want to have fun while taking photos, then the Olympus XZ-1 is for you. It's easy to use, takes clear and rich images, and it even has useful art filters. We really like it and think it's great for novices photographers as well as pros.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The fixed-lens Olympus XZ-1 is a high-end compact digital camera that offers full manual controls and impressive hardware. Olympus unveiled the camera at CES in Las Vegas.
The compact, pocketable XZ-1 is a high-performance point-and-shoot that's geared to go toe-to-toe with Canon's PowerShot S95. The 10-megapixel CCD-sensored XZ-1 has a fast, bright F1.8 aperture at the wide-angle end of its 4x optical zoom (28mm to 112mm) that's an F-stop wider than any other pocket camera on the market. It also boasts an equally impressive F2.5 aperture at full telephoto -- that's a wider aperture than most compact cameras have at their wide-angle end.
The XZ-1 is the first Olympus fixed-lens camera to offer a Zuiko lens, which is bolstered by dual optical/digital image stabilisation. Olympus is touting the camera's low-light capabilities, thanks to its wide aperture, autofocus-assist lamp, and ISO adjustments that reach up to 3200. The camera also boasts a 3-inch OLED screen.
Olympus's new flagship point-and-shoot also employs a similar control ring around the lens as the Canon PowerShot S90 and S95, which allows fast access to aperture, shutter, and ISO settings. Other key features include full manual controls, RAW shooting, an extensive range of Olympus's digital art filters (such as the tilt-shift-lens simulating Diorama Mode, Dramatic Tone, Pop Art, and Soft Focus), 720p high-definition video at 30fps, and the same in-camera Live Guide tutorials that are found in Olympus's PEN series of interchangeable-lens cameras.
The XZ-1 also serves up a hot shoe on top of the camera that can be used with Olympus's attachable electronic viewfinder for the PEN series, an external microphone, and the company's new Macro Arm Light extension.
The Olympus XZ-1 is priced at US$500 and will be released in Australia in late February.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
- Canon goes big on resolution with 250-megapixel sensor
- Hey, Saturn, take a selfie! World's biggest digital camera will photograph the universe
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCIteration Manager/Project ManagerVIC
- FTGraduate IT supportNSW
- CCSenior Process Analyst - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- CCUser Access Review (UAR) DeveloperVIC
- CCLead Business AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - CloudVIC
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCProject Manager - Change/Transformation/Project DeliveryNSW
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- CCDirector - Technical Upgrade Program- Data migration, InfraNSW
- FTCisco IP Telephony EngineerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160729/P/698Asia
- CCSenior Business Systems AnalystVIC
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Coordinator- NSW Government - reform BackgroundNSW
- CCSAP FICO Consultant/SAP FICO Stream LeadNSW
- CCAsp.Net Developer with Angular, SQL,Twitter Bootstrapper, CSSNSW
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- CCAgile Performance Tester- Bamboo, Jenkins, Confluence, JiraNSW
- CCCrystal reports expertACT
- CCStrategic Business AnalystNSW
- CCAccounts Reconciliation Officer/ AdministratorNSW