Olympus MJU 800
- Beautiful LCD, guide function perfect for beginners, fully manual control options, weatherproof body
- Image quality below expectations, camera could be a little smaller
A highly recommended purchase. Although the image quality was not quite up to what we were expecting from an 8 megapixel sensor, for the price it still blew the competition away.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Xz-10 Digital Camera 12mp 1080p - Brown 279.00
This is a great camera. An eight megapixel compact, it's cheaper than some seven megapixel cameras.
There were two things that really stood out. Firstly, the screen. Several other cameras have 2.5" LCDs. Few sport a 215,000 pixel beauty like the Stylus 800, however. This makes picture taking an absolute joy, as the subject is rendered clearly and richly with no evident ghosting. It makes framing images a breeze, and really improves the photo-taking experience.
Secondly, a brilliant guide function can be accessed by a simple button press on the side of the screen. This guide has options for everything from adjusting blur to shooting moving targets and shooting blown-up images. Each one explains the best way to change the settings to suit that particular image type. This is a brilliant addition for beginners.
The camera is perhaps a little larger and heavier than we would have liked, but it's still quite pocketable. According to Olympus, the camera is weatherproof. This means the camera should be OK in light rain.
When it came time to look at the images we had taking during our testing, we were left feeling a little disappointed. From an eight megapixel model, we would have expected some truly amazing shots, and while they certainly did look very nice, they didn't really distinguish themselves from some of the lower-resolution compact cameras we have tested.
Detail in the shots was great, and the problem of edge blurring is all but non-existent; but the images appeared a little washed out.
It's also worth mentioning the camera's Bright Capture technology, which helps to take shots in low light by increasing sensitivity. It can also remove the need to use a flash. Couple this with 19 preconfigured shot modes and a host of manual control options (which are thoroughly explained in the guide function), and you have a wonderful, complete camera package.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
- Canon goes big on resolution with 250-megapixel sensor
- Hey, Saturn, take a selfie! World's biggest digital camera will photograph the universe
- GoPro Hero4 Session: half the size, waterproof to 10 metres
- Sony wants to bring 4K video capabilities to more digital cameras
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW