- Poor bass levels, Inaccurate mid tones, No seal achieved
While they do have an attractively low price tag, you'd be better off spending a little more and getting a pair of headphones that offer better sound quality.
Price$ 14.90 (AUD)
Olin has recently released a slew of products into the already saturated portable audio space. Resembling the Cygnett Groove Bassbudz headphones we looked at before, the OE102 headphones are a hybrid, falling somewhere between earbuds and canalphones. While their design is reasonably comfortable, it fails to achieve a proper seal, and the sound quality is somewhat of a let down.
Sporting a cone shaped design, with a small plastic tip that rests close to the ear canal, the OE102s can't quite make up their mind exactly what sort of headphone they want to be. While they do sit in the ear canal, close to the ear drum, they don't go as deep as some In Ear Monitors (IEMs), and don't achieve a proper seal, which has an adverse impact on the sound quality. They are reasonably comfortable however, and look quite good in with their blue silver colour scheme and slightly off kilter shape.
We found the sound lacking in several areas. The lower registers were the worst, with the OE102s exhibiting almost no bass impact at all. Furthermore, the lower mid range was quite poorly rendered, sounding highly inaccurate at times. This was exacerbated by the rather dark sounding treble notes, which didn't sparkle nearly as much as we've heard on other units.
That said, the OE102s did exhibit some impressive detail and had quite a reasonable sound stage for a budget product. Instruments were well placed and all the little elements of our music that are obscured on many other headphones were evident on these.
Overall the sound quality is a little lacking, and won't impress most people, but the price tag is extremely low, making these a decent but not outstanding unit for those looking to replace their default iPod or other earbuds.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160818/P/265Asia
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- FTRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectACT
- FTUNIX, LINUX , VM System AdministrationNSW
- FTData AnalystsWA
- FTIT Infrastructure EngineerSA
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- CCSalesforce CRM ManagerNSW
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCJunior SQL DBA - Entry LevelVIC