Feature rich with a low price
- DTS-HD decoding, 1080P DVD up-scaling, decent picture quality
- Poor standard-definition quality, only Profile 1.1
Olin’s OBDP-100 is a capable Blu-ray player with a reasonable price tag. It’s not the cheapest player available, but it is more capable than similarly priced competitors.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
Olin’s OBDP-1000 provides a compelling option for newcomers to the Blu-ray format thanks to bargain-bin pricing and a bevy of features.
Eschewing the tacky silver of other budget players, the OBPD-1000 is coated in glossy black for a similar styling to more expensive players. The player is a lot slimmer than most and will fit well in a modern home theatre setup.
Video connections include single composite, component and HDMI 1.3 outputs, while audio outputs include analog stereo, coaxial, optical and analog 7.1 surround.
Picture quality was largely without fault when playing Blu-ray discs, thanks to support for 1080/60p playback. While playing Blu-ray editions of The Guardian and Pearl Harbour the OBDP-1000 displayed fine detail without problems. Colours were balanced with no sign of tinting, and fast-motion sequences were largely displayed without aberrations. Jaggedness is visible on some edges, but for the most part we didn’t find this to be a problem. This player won’t give you state-of-the-art picture quality, but it can certainly hold its own.
The player’s video quality is at its worst when playing DVDs at standard definition. When testing The Matrix on a Sharp LC-37D33X as well as a Samsung LA40A650 at 576p quality was substandard. Erratic motion made the picture near unwatchable, while ghosting and image noise were fairly prevalent. Although this isn’t surprising for an entry-level player, we were amazed to find that the majority of these problems were rectified when we switched to 1080p. Ghosting was largely invisible although image noise was apparent, particularly on the LA40A650.
The player’s audio output is extremely capable for its price point, supporting built-in decoding for Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD. Combined with the player’s support for 7.1 surround through either HDMI or its analog outputs, the player is capable of reproducing high quality audio. Given that DTS-HD decoding capability is normally reserved for players double the price of the OBDP-1000, this certainly distinguishes it from other entry-level players.
Although the OBDP-1000 won’t satisfy home theatre enthusiasts, it’s a solid player for its price point and an affordable entry into the world of high definition.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia Lumia 830 review: Punching above its weight
- 2 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 3 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 4 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 5 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Apple to stop SSL 3.0 support for push notifications soon
- Xiaomi moving data outside China following privacy concerns
- At Austin airport, Wi-Fi predicts how long the security line will be
- The best Apple iPad Air 2 plans: Vodafone v Telstra v Optus
- Twitter weaves Fabric, but will developers be drawn in?
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW