Feature rich with a low price
- DTS-HD decoding, 1080P DVD up-scaling, decent picture quality
- Poor standard-definition quality, only Profile 1.1
Olin’s OBDP-100 is a capable Blu-ray player with a reasonable price tag. It’s not the cheapest player available, but it is more capable than similarly priced competitors.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
Olin’s OBDP-1000 provides a compelling option for newcomers to the Blu-ray format thanks to bargain-bin pricing and a bevy of features.
Eschewing the tacky silver of other budget players, the OBPD-1000 is coated in glossy black for a similar styling to more expensive players. The player is a lot slimmer than most and will fit well in a modern home theatre setup.
Video connections include single composite, component and HDMI 1.3 outputs, while audio outputs include analog stereo, coaxial, optical and analog 7.1 surround.
Picture quality was largely without fault when playing Blu-ray discs, thanks to support for 1080/60p playback. While playing Blu-ray editions of The Guardian and Pearl Harbour the OBDP-1000 displayed fine detail without problems. Colours were balanced with no sign of tinting, and fast-motion sequences were largely displayed without aberrations. Jaggedness is visible on some edges, but for the most part we didn’t find this to be a problem. This player won’t give you state-of-the-art picture quality, but it can certainly hold its own.
The player’s video quality is at its worst when playing DVDs at standard definition. When testing The Matrix on a Sharp LC-37D33X as well as a Samsung LA40A650 at 576p quality was substandard. Erratic motion made the picture near unwatchable, while ghosting and image noise were fairly prevalent. Although this isn’t surprising for an entry-level player, we were amazed to find that the majority of these problems were rectified when we switched to 1080p. Ghosting was largely invisible although image noise was apparent, particularly on the LA40A650.
The player’s audio output is extremely capable for its price point, supporting built-in decoding for Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD. Combined with the player’s support for 7.1 surround through either HDMI or its analog outputs, the player is capable of reproducing high quality audio. Given that DTS-HD decoding capability is normally reserved for players double the price of the OBDP-1000, this certainly distinguishes it from other entry-level players.
Although the OBDP-1000 won’t satisfy home theatre enthusiasts, it’s a solid player for its price point and an affordable entry into the world of high definition.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - Six Sigma Black BeltVIC
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Automation TesterQLD
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - Tivoli Storage SpecialistNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT role - Recent IT TAFE GraduateNSW
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerVIC
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- CCTest Analysts - MainframeACT
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst / DeveloperNSW