OKI Printing Solutions B4400n
- The nifty Status Monitor is very helpful, easy access to the toner and imaging drum
- Doesn't have automatic duplexing, printer's toner seems to be more charcoal-coloured than true black
Oki's B4400n deserves credit for its performance and its sturdy design. Even the seemingly ho-hum monochrome printer category has hot competition, though, and other printers offer as many or more features for less money.
Price$ 603.90 (AUD)
Oki printers use an array of LEDs instead of a moving laser beam to create a printed page. But its B4400n monochrome LED printer has more to it than this technical difference: it's fast, well built, and generally well designed. Unfortunately, the Oki B4400n is also a little expensive for what you get.
The Oki B4400n is one of the better performers in this class. It printed plain-text documents at 28.8 pages per minute (ppm), and graphics at 8.9ppm. The printer's toner seems to be more charcoal-coloured than true black, which detracts a bit from overall quality. This was especially apparent in photos, which looked a little yellowish and grainy, though nicely shaded otherwise. Text looked delicate and precise, but a little light.
Many low-end lasers sacrifice design for price, but the Oki B4400n generally doesn't. We didn't like the control panel -- LEDs with icons instead of words for labels; on the other hand, it was easy to reach the toner and imaging drum through the top panel. The 250-sheet, letter/legal input tray is surprisingly sturdy, but it has minimal markings for adjusting width and length. The legal-size paper extension still fits within the printer's footprint. For thicker media, open the manual-feed tray from the front and the rear exit tray from the back. At this price, the one thing we miss is automatic duplexing-especially when a few cheaper models do include it; at least the Oki B4400n's manual-duplex prompts are very helpful.
The Status Monitor is another friendly aspect of the Oki B4400n. It starts as an icon in Windows' System Tray and simply changes colour from blue (all's well) to yellow (problem). Double-click it, and a small window pops up to show more detailed status and tabs for accessing the driver, the setup utility, or operational statistics.
The Oki B4400n has middling cost of consumables. It ships with a standard 3000-page toner supply; replacements cost $55.50 for a 3000-page unit, or about 1.8 cents per page. The imaging drum lasts 25,000 pages and costs $223.91, or less than a cent per page.
We installed the Oki B4400n via USB (parallel and Ethernet are also included in this model). The setup poster is largely wordless but pretty easy to follow, although sometimes the illustrations lacked detail. The included CD can also install network management tools (which we didn't try) and the PDF-based user guide, which is fairly thorough and well written.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTIT Security RolesACT
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerNSW
- CCPMO Analyst - Telco - MelbourneVIC
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTSystems Administrator - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTMarket Data Analyst, Investment BankingNSW
- FTTest Analyst - HCMSNSW
- FTProduct Manager - IoTNSW
- TPIT Business AnalystNSW
- FTFunctional Security Test Analyst | OWASPVIC
- FTProject Coordinator ($280-$300 per day)NSW
- FTSenior Desktop Engineer - SCCM / AD / 2012 ServerNSW
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCSenior Security AnalystsACT
- FTSenior Digital Business Analyst, AGILE, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- CCTelecommunication Business SpecialistTAS
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsVIC
- FTSpatial technical officerACT
- FTPayroll Systems AnalystQLD
- FTGraduate Application Support Analyst -SMSF SoftwareNSW
- FTSalesforce Project LeadQLD
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Software Developer (C#.Net and VB.Net)SA
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW