O2 Xphone II
- Size, weight and form factor. Small device packed with features
- Slow boot-up time, VGA camera only, memory card swapping
The Xphone II bundles lots of features into a compact, sleek design. It would suit phone users needing basic organiser capabilities, but those wanting more comprehensive PDA features should stick to the Xda range.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
At 107.5 x 44.5 x 18mm and weighing only 102g, the Xphone II is much sleeker and slimmer than its predecessor. It's a small tri-band smartphone that is ideal for those wanting a mobile phone with additional PDA capabilities.
As with other O2 devices, the strongest selling point of the Xphone II is the 2.2" TFT LCD colour screen, which displays crisp images even in sunlight. Despite occupying so much real estate, the large screen size doesn't impact on the usability of the controls, which have angled keys ideal for sending text messages. A five-way navigation joystick is provided, along with a Home key, a Back key and two soft keys just under the screen.
Powered by a 195MHz Texas Instruments processor and with 32MB of installed RAM, the Xphone II runs smoothly--with the exception of its inordinately long boot-up time, over a minute to load properly. Another potential problem is that, while a miniSD flash memory slot is provided, adding or swapping a memory card requires turning off the device and removing the battery. In contrast, other O2 smartphones in the Xda range have a memory slot positioned at the top, making swapping cards easier.
Running Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, the Xphone II has Microsoft Pocket Outlook installed, allowing for synchronisation of Contacts, Calendar and Tasks. Users can synchronise wirelessly through infrared or Bluetooth, or by using a USB cable. The Xphone also supports SMS, MMS, instant messaging (through MSN Messenger) and Web browsing with Internet Explorer. Unlike the XDA range, the range of applications installed is basic, with the usual Calculator and few games but no Office applications.
For multimedia, Windows Media Player is provided but, like other O2 units, the Xphone II has a 2.5mm headphone jack, meaning standard headphone sets can't be used without an adapter. The VGA camera is a little disappointing, given that other phones now have moved on to 1.3 megapixels and more.
The Xphone II would suit users who want basic organiser functionality on their phones without the hassles of carrying around a much larger device.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google's modular smartphone project sacrificed its original vision to move forward
- Android device updates: HTC 10 is getting stability fixes and preview 3 is headed to Android N
- Google I/O 2016: Every Android app – really – is coming to Chrome
- Zip! Pow! Google debuts Android Instant Apps that load without installation
- Nokia-branded Android phones will return to the market
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCApplication Packaging ExpertVIC
- CCSenior BA - Enterprise DataNSW
- CCSenior IT Tester / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (Sharepoint, CRM, MS Dynamics)ACT
- CCData Engineer | Real Time StreamingNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL/Web) 160519/AP/453Asia
- FTSoftware DeveloperSA
- FT.Net Junior DeveloperNSW
- FTManager, Applications SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCSkilled Sitecore / .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Systems AnalystACT
- CCNetwork Technical ConsultantSA
- CCNetwork Engineer | DC Relocation |VoIP Refresh | CCNA | CCNPNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- FTSystems EngineerACT
- CCProject Manager - HFCVIC
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Network Security AdministratorACT
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTDynamics Project ManagerNSW
- CCSAP HR & Payroll consultant - July STARTACT
- FTSenior Team Leader Applications SupportACT
- FTStorage SpecialistVIC