Noontec GV3732 media streamer
This hard drive media player has everything you need to watch movies from your PC on your television
- Good quality AV input, dual USB host ports, card reader
- Average interface, uninspiring looks, mediocre remote
If you’re looking for a budget networked media player with a hard drive for storage and media recording, Noontec’s GV3732 is a good choice. It packs plenty of features into a small chassis.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
The Noontec GV3732 media streamer packs a 3.5in hard drive bay, a card reader, network connectivity and plenty of audio-visual processing into a small and unobtrusive body.
The case housing the Noontec GV3732 feels well built. It uses thick plastic and aluminium, and has a satin black finish. Silver accents break up the monotony to some extent, but overall the package isn’t as visually impressive as some other hard drive media players like the Panasonic DMR-BW850 or the DVICO TViX R-3300. The multi-function card slot accepts five different card types including CompactFlash. If you’re an avid photographer you may find this useful; we enjoyed the convenience of displaying a recently captured photograph on a screen larger than 3in.
The Noontec GV3732 has HDMI, composite and component video outputs, allowing most recent TVs to be hooked up. It also has a network port and two USB host ports. You can use the Ethernet port to stream media files from computers connected to your home network.
A composite video input lets you record video at either 480p or 576p. If you want to store any data on this player you’ll need to install a 3.5in desktop hard drive. A 1TB maximum allows for plenty of data to be stored. The unit’s remote is a let-down; it feels cheap and generic and the labels are hard to read.
Upon booting you’re presented with a somewhat boring black-on-white interface. There are occasional splashes of colour, but the Noontec GV3732 sticks to a simple Arial font and largely monochrome GUI to get the job done. The user interface is pretty self-explanatory, but we would have preferred dedicated sections to view photos, video and music rather than a folder-based system.
Where the Noontec GV3732 proves itself is in file format and codec support. MP3, WAV, WMA and OGG files are decoded without issue; there’s no support for AAC or FLAC files. XviD and MPEG 1/2/4 support means the majority of digital video files will be playable, although MKV high-definition formats are not supported.
The composite AV input allows the Noontec GV3732 to record anything with a video output. Uses for this are limited, but we think it would be a reasonable system for recording television directly from your TV or set-top box in a pinch. Picture quality was as good as we expected — a maximum resolution of 480p at 30 frames per second is roughly DVD quality.
Noontec’s GV3732 is a competent media player for digital video, music and picture files. It’s somewhat utilitarian in its design and interface, but if you’re looking for a low-cost device to play files from your PC on your TV, then consider it.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCService ManagerACT
- TPIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- TPEnvironment Specialist(DevOps)QLD
- CCData Analyst - AutoHaulWA
- CCDesktop SupportNSW
- FTSenior Network AdministratorNSW
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- FTSalesforce AdministratorQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)QLD
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager x 2QLD
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst / DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectWA
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- FTDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Permanent - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- FTInfrastructure Architect (Adelaide Based)VIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectVIC
- FTSnr SOC Security Coordinator - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC