Nokia X7 smartphone (preview)
Nokia X7 preview: The Nokia X7 has a 4in AMOLED display and can record 720p HD video
- 4in AMOLED display
- 8-megapixel camera with HD video recording
- Symbian OS
- Limited internal memory
The Nokia X7 is described as an "entertainment-focused smartphone". It is equipped with a 4in AMOLED display, and an 8-megapixel camera that doubles as a 720p HD video recorder.
Nokia is ditching its Symbian mobile phone operating system, and switching to Windows Phone 7 for future high-end smartphones, but the Finnish company still seems intent on pushing its Symbian platform. Its latest release is the Nokia X7, which has apparently been designed for "entertainment enthusiasts".
Described by Nokia as an "entertainment-focused smartphone" the X7 has a 4in AMOLED display, and an 8-megapixel camera that doubles as a 720p HD video recorder. Nokia says the screen is manufactured from "gorilla glass" which makes it less susceptible to cracking and scratching. The Nokia X7's display also has a reasonably impressive resolution of 360 x 640.
Nokia says the X7's large screen makes it an ideal device for mobile gaming, so the device will come preloaded with the games Galaxy on Fire and Asphalt 5 HD.
The X7 is powered by a 680MHz processor, with additional graphics accelerator. It also has a 3D entry accelerometer, and comes with an 8GB microSD card — there is only 350MB of internal memory.
The Nokia X7 is constructed from a combination of stainless steel and glass. Its front is almost completely flat, but the sides have distinctive curves towards the back, which should make it comfortable to hold.
The Nokia X7 will be one of the first devices that will ship with the latest version of Symbian, called Symbian Anna. Nokia has touted new icons and usability enhancements to the platform including improved text input, a faster Web browser and the latest version of Ovi Maps, which provides full turn-by-turn navigation for no extra cost. Symbian Anna will also come with enterprise grade security, hardware accelerated encryption, and a number of new e-mail features.
We are keen to put the Nokia X7 through its paces when its reviewed, but we highly suspect it will suffer the same issue as Nokia's flagship N8 and the Nokia E7 — both of these smartphone possess outstanding hardware but are held back by the clunky and unintuitive Symbian software.
The Nokia X7 smartphone will be available in Australia in Q3 but pricing and carrier availability are yet to be revealed.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- BlackBerry readies a more secure version of the Samsung Galaxy S7
- Android device updates: Nougat rollout begins for the Moto Z Play
- Android device updates: Nougat is coming to the Moto G4, G4 Plus
- Beyond smartphones, Samsung wants its Exynos 9 chip in VR headsets
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPIT Project ManagerNSW
- CCUnix/Linux Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - Microsoft / VMWareVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - DSITIQLD
- FTPMO Project Analytics and Tools ManagerNSW
- TPAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- FTMid Level PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTDirector, Centre for Cyber Security SolutionsVIC
- FTInfrastructure Analyst - Storage & Backup SystemsNSW
- CCOracle WebLogic AdministratorNSW
- FTSalesforce Marketing Cloud ConsultantVIC
- TPProject Support Officer - Data and Information ManagementVIC
- TPProgram ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Change Analyst/ Change ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- Data GovernanceNSW
- FTDocumentation AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Support ConsultantSA
- FTICT ManagerNSW
- CCMicrostrategy DeveloperVIC
- FTSAP HR Functional ConsultantQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTICT Account Manager / ICT Client Services ManagerQLD
- FTSenior IT Business AnalystNSW
- TPTechnical ArchitectVIC