Nokia Lumia 1320 Windows Phone (preview)
The Lumia 1320 is a mid-range Windows Phone with slightly downgraded specifications from the Lumia 1520
- Large 6in screen
- Full range of Nokia apps
- microSD card slot
- Downgraded camera
- Lower screen resolution
- Not available until 2014
The Nokia Lumia 1320 is a mid-range Windows Phone with slightly downgraded specifications from the Lumia 1520. Like that model, this is an oversized smartphone (or phablet), but it's lower price means it is targeted at the low-mid range market segment.
Most of the world's media attention has been focussed on the Lumia 2520 tablet and Lumia 1520 smartphone, but Nokia has also unveiled the Lumia 1320. Don't worry, you're not the only one who gets confused with all these numbers.
The Lumia 1320 is a mid-range Windows Phone with slightly downgraded specifications from the Lumia 1520. Like that model, this is an oversized smartphone (or phablet if we have to), designed to compete with Samsung's popular Galaxy Note 3. However, it has a more accessible price point and is therefore targeted at the low-mid range market segment.
The Lumia 1320 has the same sized 6in screen as the more expensive Lumia 1520, but the display has a 720p resolution of 1280x720 rather than full HD. That gives it a pixel density of 244ppi compared to 367ppi. It's definitely a downgrade, but most average users won't be able to notice a huge difference.
Strangely, the Lumia 1320 is actually bigger and heavier than the Lumia 1520. It weighs a whopping 220g (compared to 209g) and is both thicker (9.8mm) and taller (164.2g) than its more expensive counterpart. It retains a colourful polycarbonate design that's synonymous with Lumia phones, but the device appears to be more rounded than the Lumia 1520. The Lumia 1320 will be available in orange, yellow, white and black colour variants.
The lower price also leads to a downgrade in specifications. The Lumia 1320 is powered by a 1.7GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor and has 1GB of RAM. It also has just 8GB of internal memory, though like the Lumia 1520, Nokia has included a microSD card for memory expansion.
Perhaps the most significant downgrade is the cameras. Where the Lumia 1520 is equipped with a rear-facing, 20-megapixel PureView camera, the Lumia 1320 gets a 5-megapixel sensor without the PureView technology. The camera doubles as a full HD video recorder but the front-facing camera is only VGA.
Most other features of the Lumia 1320 are the same as the Lumia 1520. It runs the latest version of Windows Phone (officially called General Distribution Release 3 or GDR 3 for short), which means there's room for a third column of Live tiles on the home screen, and six tiles across the screen instead of four. The 1320 will also come pre-loaded with Nokia Camera and Nokia Storyteller apps, the latter of which automatically integrates geotagged pictures and creates a chronological timeline on a map.
The Lumia 1320 includes a large, non-removable 3400mAh battery but there's no integrated wireless charging.
The Nokia Lumia 1320 is expected to start shipping in Q1 2014, but Australian pricing and release details have yet to be announced.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: The busiest, biggest and best Samsung phablet
- 3 Aldi's $279 Bauhn Sphere review: Disappointing
- 4 Nokia Lumia 735 review: Perfectly ordinary
- 5 Bowers & Wilkins P5 (Series 2) review: For elegant sound
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Why is Microsoft updating Windows PCs for a security bug on the server?
- Prices for 4K monitors sink below $500
- Apple's $450 million e-books settlement gets final approval
- Reports: EU taking first step towards breaking up Google
- US man sentenced for hacking POS systems at Subway
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW