Nokia LD-4W Bluetooth GPS Module
- Design, weight, included belt clip and suction cup, solid performance
- No included AC charger, a little expensive
If your mobile phone or PDA doesn't have a GPS receiver built-in, then the stylish and compact LD-4W is definitely worth a look.
Price$ 214.99 (AUD)
With GPS becoming more and more popular, the push for navigation continues to gather pace. If your mobile phone or PDA doesn't have a built in GPS receiver, then Nokia's LD-4W -- a simple, but practical Bluetooth GPS receiver -- can turn it into a full navigational device.
The most notable aspect of the LD-4W is its design. There are plenty of GPS receivers hitting the market, but not many are as compact and stylish as this one. Its gloss black plastic design featuring silver edging and a rubber back makes this unit attractive and weighing just 31g, it's practical too. Included in the sales package is a suction cup and belt clip, so you can use the LD-4W in a number of ways.
The LD-4W uses the popular SiRF Star III GPS receiver and we found it falls in line with most dedicated navigation units in terms of response time. The first time you switch it on out of the box, it can take up to a couple of minutes, but this time is reduced to about a minute and a half once it's connected for the first time.
We were impressed with performance, testing the receiver with a HP iPAQ 112 Classic PDA running the latest CoPilot Live 7 GPS software. The LD-4W also obviously works with most Nokia phones and the Nokia Maps application. We experienced no dropouts despite testing in and around large buildings and trees which sometimes affect the GPS signal, though performance was notably stronger when attached to a car windscreen via the suction cap, rather than hanging off a belt, or in a pocket.
The LD-4W only has a single power button. Pairing is as simple as turning the unit on, whereby it automatically enters pairing mode. Three LED indicators on the front signal power, Bluetooth connectivity and GPS reception.
Nokia claims the LD-4W can provide up to 10 hours of operating time from a full one hour charge. The unit is charged via a proprietary Nokia connection -- the same as most of the new Nokia handsets on the market. An in-car charger is bundled in the sales package, but unfortunately, there is no AC charger included. This seems strange considering the unit works with most phones or PDAs that support Bluetooth and is disappointing considering the price tag.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
- Google's Pixel Launcher leak hints at the demise of the Nexus brand
- It's official: iOS 10 launches with huge improvements to iMessage, Apple Music, Siri, and more
- Goodbye GPS? DARPA preparing alternative position-tracking technology
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW