Nokia BH-905 Bluetooth headphones
Handle your music and phone calls with these Bluetooth headphones
- Excellent sound quality, decent build quality, wired and wireless connections, solid voice call performance, punchy bass, good noise cancellation
- Ears quickly become hot, mid-range lacks detail, slight background hissing in Bluetooth mode, expensive
The Nokia BH-905 Bluetooth headphones are among the best sounding wireless headphones we've reviewed. They aren't perfect and obviously won't attract audiophiles, but the convenience of using a wired or wireless connection, the range of bundled accessories and the ability to handle phone calls make these headphones an impressive product -– albeit one with a premium price.
Price$ 399.99 (AUD)
Looking like a regular pair of over-the-ear headphones, the Nokia BH-905 can wirelessly stream your music from a Bluetooth compatible phone or portable music player and can also handle phone calls. Featuring a built-in microphone, volume controls and a multifunction key that allows you to answer and end calls, the Nokia BH-905 Bluetooth headphones possess surprisingly good audio quality and excellent noise-cancellation capabilities. However, the exorbitant cost is hard to swallow.
The Nokia BH-905 headphones boast an attractive black and silver design. The brushed metal style finish on the outside of the plastic ear-cups certainly adds a nice touch of style, as does the chrome edging. The black plastic headband gives the unit a professional look, without compromising on style. Build quality feels reasonably impressive — the plastic headband creaks when pressed, but the frame feels solid and the hinges rotate effortlessly.
The Nokia BH-905 headphones are quite large, but the headset is comfortable to wear for long periods. Both the ear-cups and the headband are finished with a soft leather-style pad filled with foam — this means the BH-905 never digs into your head or ears. A downside to the soft finish is that your ears become rather hot, even after just a few minutes of use.
Although wireless audio is the Nokia BH-905's key feature, you can use the headphones with a wired connection — the sales package comes with a 2.5mm Nokia jack connector, a 3.5mm Nokia jack, a standard 3.5mm jack, a larger 6.3mm jack and an airplane adapter.
Audio when using both wireless and wired connections is impressive and among the best we've heard from Bluetooth headphones, which are usually renowned for poor sound quality. The sounds is crisp and smooth overall, and the headphones handle bass particularly well — it's punchy but not overpowering. The mid-range lacks quite a bit detail and there is slight background hissing, a common fault with Bluetooth audio. The Nokia BH-905 headset definitely won't impress audiophiles (no Bluetooth headphones will), but the average consumer is certainly well catered for.
Noise cancelling is excellent for an over-the-ear design. Nokia claims the BH-905 uses 10 microphones to block external noise — eight microphones for capturing background noise and the other two to capture your voice during phone calls. The BH-905 has a noise-cancelling switch under the left ear cup and once activated the difference is notable. Crowded public buses and trains and noisy office colleagues (such as our sub-editor) were masked by the BH-905, but busy city traffic can still be heard.
The Nokia BH-905 can pair with any mobile phone with Bluetooth, but requires AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile) for music control. As the iPhone 3GS lacks this profile (one of many disappointing Bluetooth limitations), we were unable to use the play/pause and skip track buttons on the BH-905.
For phone calls, the Nokia BH-905 will work with any Bluetooth mobile and call quality is surprisingly good. Incoming audio is excellent and we had no issues with it, while outgoing audio is best described as adequate — heavy background noise (such as busy city traffic or large crowds) could still be heard by our callers, and our voice was described as sounding rather unnatural. On the plus side, volume is adequate and conversations were clearly audible.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Future Intel CPUs could be cobbled together using different parts
- PowerColor's Radeon RX 470 graphics card is down to $120
- Legendary RPG Planescape: Torment is getting an Enhanced Edition, 17 years later
- GeForce GTX 1060 added to Nvidia's For Honor, Ghost Recon: Wildlands free game bundle
- Razer’s updated Blade Pro is the first ever THX-certified laptop
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTICT Account Manager / ICT Client Services ManagerQLD
- TPSenior SAP Time and Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTJunior Applications SupportSA
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCSAP FICO Support AnalystWA
- CCSecurity Vetting OfficerACT
- FTSystems AdministratorNSW
- FTJunior DevOps Developer - TelcoVIC
- FTSQL Server DBA- 2016 RDBMS, SSIS, SRS, Certified DBANSW
- TPBusiness Project Manager - DigitalNSW
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- CCProject Scheduler/CoordinatorVIC
- FTSystem Engineer - Level 2NSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistVIC
- CCSecurity ManagerACT
- TPMedia AssistantNSW
- FTSystem EngineersVIC
- CCTest Manager OfficeACT
- CCAutomation Developer - LinuxNSW
- FTService Desk ConsultantACT
- FTC# / ASP.NET DeveloperSA
- FTApplication Support Analyst - Mortgage SolutionNSW
- CCSofware Developer/Architect - Media and telco Network Operations - MelbourneVIC
- FTJava Developer - Short team Contract @ CanberraVIC