- Excellent call quality, reasonable audio quality, comfortable, design
- Lack of clarity, overpowering mid-range
The BH-503 won't win any awards for audio quality, but they do a fine job regardless. Handsfree calling via Bluetooth is excellent and the ergonomic design means these are comfortable to wear for long periods.
Price$ 189.99 (AUD)
Offering reasonable sound quality, a comfortable design and easy to grasp controls, Nokia's latest Bluetooth headphones, the BH-503, certainly pack quite a punch. Their ability to also handle mobile calls makes them a tidy option.
Although wireless headphones still lag far behind their wired counterparts in terms of sound quality, the increasing nature of A2DP Bluetooth on mobile phones and similar devices has seen Bluetooth headphones improve considerably.
Falling in line with these trends, the BH-503 offers reasonable, though not outstanding audio quality. Bass is surprisingly good, extending quite deeply even though it is slightly overpowered by the mid-range. The biggest issue is clarity – though this is a standard issue of most wireless headphones and not a problem of this unit in particular. Overall, the sound produced definitely won't satisfy audiophiles, but most will be pleasantly surprised.
Utilising a behind-the-head design, the BH-503 is comfortable to wear for long periods. Our only complaint is the material that covers the speakers – our ears became quite warm after just a few minutes of use. Build quality feels excellent though and the flexible, rubber neckband is a nice design touch.
To make use of the BH-503's wireless connectivity you'll require a device that is A2DP compatible. Most products with this protocol are mobile phones, though there are a few multimedia players with Bluetooth support. The advantage of the BH-503 is its ability to handle calls – simply press the call handling button to answer a call. We found both incoming and outgoing call quality exceptional and definitely on par with dedicated Bluetooth headsets. Particularly impressive was the loud in-call volume.
Pairing the BH-503 to a compatible phone or multimedia player is a simple process. Turning on the unit automatically puts it into pairing mode – simply search for the device, enter the passcode and then connect. Once connected, you can use the BH503's playback controls to skip through your music. In addition to volume controls, the BH-503 has buttons for play/pause, previous/next track and a call handling button. A microphone is built into the base of the right-hand ear cup.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTLevel 3 Support AnalystVIC
- CCStorage System EngineerNSW
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- CCSAP Billing & Invoicing ConsultantNSW
- CCUser ResearcherNSW
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- FTChange Manager - Large Transition ProjectNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPMobile DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- TPEnvironment Specialist(DevOps)QLD
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - NetApp SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)Other
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTProject / Implementation Coordinator (Junior-Mid Level) Sunshine Coast LocationQLD