Nokia 6500 Slide
- Stylish design, etched stainless steel, 3G-capable, excellent keypad and controls, good call quality, microSD card slot, 3.2-megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss lens
- No 3.5mm headphone jack
The 6500 Slide is an excellently designed 3G phone that manages to retain some style despite sporting a larger frame than the Classic version.
Price$ 689.00 (AUD)
A slight upgrade to the 6500 Classic in terms of both features and size, the 6500 Slide offers a 3.2-megapixel camera with a Carl Zeiss lens, a microSD memory card slot and an FM radio.
Slightly thicker than the 6500 Classic, the Slide remains an elegantly crafted piece of industrial design. It features a brushed, stainless steel face that is very kind to scratches and fingerprints. Although it may not look as stylish as its candy bar sibling, the advantage of the Slide's larger frame lies in its controls; the keypad is well spaced out and a joy to type on, and the rest of the controls are well positioned and easy to press.
Call quality is adequate and volume levels are loud enough at their highest setting, so holding conversations with some background noise isn't an issue. The handsfree speakerphone also works well.
The 6500 Slide comes equipped with a 3.2-megapixel camera with 8x digital zoom and a dual-LED flash. A front mounted VGA camera is present for video calls. The main camera is equipped with a Carl Zeiss lens and takes respectable, but not outstanding photos. The flash works reasonably well for night-time photography, while the camera also doubles as a video recorder, with a resolution of up to 640x480 pixels.
A music player featuring a new look is included, but most features are the same. The interface is easy to use though and settings include shuffle and repeat play modes, stereo widening, preset and adjustable equaliser settings, and the ability to "skin" the player with various themes. Annoyingly, Nokia has opted for a 2.5mm headphone jack instead of the regular 3.5mm, though the inclusion of A2DP Stereo Bluetooth is a handy alternative to the included headphones.
On-board memory of 20MB is present, but a microSD slot caters for extra memory and a 256MB card is included in the sales package. Conveniently, the 6500 Slide will support microSD cards of up to 4GB in capacity, though it's slightly annoying to have to remove the rear cover to access it.
Other features include a voice recorder, push-to-talk and Java games, as well as the standard suite of PIM functions consisting of alarm, calendar, to-do list, notes, calculator, stopwatch and a countdown timer.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Android's next destination: Untethered VR headsets with Snapdragon 835
- MWC 17: What's coming, what's not, and what we really want to see
- Xiaomi planning second version of its revolutionary Mi Mix ‘bezel-less’ phone
- Apple smartphones outsold Samsung's in Q4
- Apple joins Wireless Power Consortium, charging up iPhone 8 rumor
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorACT
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSalesforce AdministratorQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTFinancial ERP Customer SME / Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD
- CCSME in Openstack, AWSNSW
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- FTMicrosoft ProgrammerSA
- FTLevel 3 Support AnalystVIC