Nokia 6500 Slide
- Stylish design, etched stainless steel, 3G-capable, excellent keypad and controls, good call quality, microSD card slot, 3.2-megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss lens
- No 3.5mm headphone jack
The 6500 Slide is an excellently designed 3G phone that manages to retain some style despite sporting a larger frame than the Classic version.
Price$ 689.00 (AUD)
A slight upgrade to the 6500 Classic in terms of both features and size, the 6500 Slide offers a 3.2-megapixel camera with a Carl Zeiss lens, a microSD memory card slot and an FM radio.
Slightly thicker than the 6500 Classic, the Slide remains an elegantly crafted piece of industrial design. It features a brushed, stainless steel face that is very kind to scratches and fingerprints. Although it may not look as stylish as its candy bar sibling, the advantage of the Slide's larger frame lies in its controls; the keypad is well spaced out and a joy to type on, and the rest of the controls are well positioned and easy to press.
Call quality is adequate and volume levels are loud enough at their highest setting, so holding conversations with some background noise isn't an issue. The handsfree speakerphone also works well.
The 6500 Slide comes equipped with a 3.2-megapixel camera with 8x digital zoom and a dual-LED flash. A front mounted VGA camera is present for video calls. The main camera is equipped with a Carl Zeiss lens and takes respectable, but not outstanding photos. The flash works reasonably well for night-time photography, while the camera also doubles as a video recorder, with a resolution of up to 640x480 pixels.
A music player featuring a new look is included, but most features are the same. The interface is easy to use though and settings include shuffle and repeat play modes, stereo widening, preset and adjustable equaliser settings, and the ability to "skin" the player with various themes. Annoyingly, Nokia has opted for a 2.5mm headphone jack instead of the regular 3.5mm, though the inclusion of A2DP Stereo Bluetooth is a handy alternative to the included headphones.
On-board memory of 20MB is present, but a microSD slot caters for extra memory and a 256MB card is included in the sales package. Conveniently, the 6500 Slide will support microSD cards of up to 4GB in capacity, though it's slightly annoying to have to remove the rear cover to access it.
Other features include a voice recorder, push-to-talk and Java games, as well as the standard suite of PIM functions consisting of alarm, calendar, to-do list, notes, calculator, stopwatch and a countdown timer.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- LG announces the V20, a phone squarely targeted at audiophiles
- When will your phone get Android Nougat?
- Report: Nexus home button animation and 'night light' option appear amid a batch of leaks
- Samsung officially announces the Galaxy Note 7 and a refreshed GearVR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/XML) 160818/P/872Asia
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- CCSenior Android DeveloperVIC
- FTOrchestration Engineer - DevOps - PuppetVIC
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager, Infrastructure Migration, AWS CloudNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- CCSalesforce CRM ManagerNSW
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCFinance Analyst (Junior)VIC
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Brand NEW IoT ProjectNSW