Nokia 6500 Classic
- Sleek, stylish design; etched aluminium casing; 3G-capable; good call quality; 1GB internal memory
- No memory card slot, no 3.5mm headphone jack, unified microUSB port limits multitasking
The 6500 Classic is a well equipped 3G phone bursting with style. The lack of a memory card slot is a real let down, but it remains an excellent handset on the whole.
Price$ 649.00 (AUD)
Sporting style in spades, Nokia's latest handset isn't all about looks as it includes 3G capabilities, 1GB of internal memory and a 2-megapixel camera. Part of Nokia's "style and design range", the 6500 Classic features a case crafted from anodised aluminium, making it one of the most stylish handsets to hit the market.
At just 9.5mm thin, the 6500 Classic is a joy to hold in your hand. Available in black or bronze finishes, the aluminium casing feels strong and well built. The etched silver display and keypad surrounds adds a touch of class. Our only real complaint with the design is the keypad and controls -- they are quite small and feel somewhat squashed, making messaging and general use a little frustrating at times.
Call quality is adequate and volume levels are loud enough at their highest setting, so holding conversations with some background noise isn't an issue. The handsfree speakerphone also works well.
The 6500 Classic comes equipped with a 2-megapixel camera with 8x digital zoom and a dual-LED flash, but we were a bit surprised that there is no front mounted VGA camera for video calls. The camera takes respectable, but far from outstanding, photos and despite the presence of a flash, night-time photography is a hit and miss affair. The camera doubles as a video recorder, with a resolution of up to 176x144 pixels.
A music player featuring a new look is included, but most features are the same. The interface is easy to use though and settings include shuffle and repeat play modes, stereo widening, preset and adjustable equaliser settings and the ability to "skin" the player with various themes. Sadly, the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack is a real let down, though the inclusion of A2DP Stereo Bluetooth is a handy alternative to the included headphones.
Although the 1GB of internal memory is generous and should be enough for the average user, the lack of a memory card slot is the 6500 Classic's biggest issue. With a decent camera, music player and video recorder, excess multimedia use will quickly fill up the devices memory. Another annoyance is the unified microUSB port -- although it's great to see Nokia aiming for a standard port across its range, one port for charging, listening to music and synchronisation means users aren't able to listen to music and charge the phone at the same time, as an example.
Other features include a voice recorder and Java games, as well as the standard suite of PIM functions consisting of alarm, calendar, to-do list, notes, calculator, stopwatch and a countdown timer.
According to Nokia figures, battery life is rated at up to 3.5 hours of talk time and up to nine days of standby time on a 3G network. These figures rise to 5.5 hours talk time and 12.5 days standby time on a standard GSM network.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How Intel knocked itself out of the smartphone chip market
- LG shows off a smartphone display panel with integrated fingerprint reader
- Smartphone uptake passes its peak as industry appetite wanes
- As tablet sales take a dive, analysts expect smartphone vendors to launch convertibles
- Samsung explains why it’s all in on VR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Analyst/Programmer II (Drupal 7.39/PHP) 160427/CAP/vccAsia
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- FTSoftware Design Engineer (Embedded Software)SA
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- FTApplication Team Lead | Billing & CreditVIC
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- FTPMO AnalystNSW
- CCNetwork DesignerVIC
- FTSenior Enterprise Architect, Financial ServicesAsia
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT
- CCSenior Project Manager - Workforce ManagementVIC
- CCFront End Developer x 2QLD
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCSystems TrainerVIC
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- CCSql Server Database Administrator (SAP)QLD
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCMid Range Developer (Senior .NET Developer)QLD
- CCData Management & Reporting Development OfficerSA
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- CCL3 - Network Design and Support EngineerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia