Simple and slimline design for a low price.
- Design, ease of use, price
- No removable storage, keypad is a little small
The Nokia 5000 will suit users after a basic handset for calls and messages, but multimedia buffs should look elsewhere as there is no removable storage.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
The 5000 from Nokia continues the Finnish giant's excellent record of building fine entry-level units. This slim candybar is easy to use, has good call quality and comes equipped with most of the basic features you would expect. Unfortunately, multimedia buffs need to look elsewhere as it lacks removable storage.
The 5000 attempts to appeal to fashion-conscious buyers despite its low price point. A gloss black panel in the middle is flanked by two coloured side panels and a metallic grey finish on the sides and rear. The 5000 is comfortable to hold, lightweight and effortless to use.
The glossy, raised keypad provides good tactility but the fairly small size of the keys can pose some comfort and speed issues when text messaging. The same applies for the five-way navigational pad — it is slightly smaller than we would have liked and does tend to dig into your finger when being pressed. The 5000's display is bright and clear, but viewing angles are poor and sunlight glare is a bit of an issue.
The Series 40 interface is easy to use and fairly responsive. A slight annoyance is scrolling through long lists: holding down the navigational key doesn't scroll fast enough, so you will find yourself pressing repeatedly. The Nokia menu is intuitive and well designed.
Being an entry-level phone, the phone has fairly basic features, headed by a 1.3-megapixel camera, Bluetooth, a music player and an FM radio. The included 2.5mm HS-105 headset also doubles as a hands-free device and features a call-handling button and a shirt clip built into the cord. Unfortunately, the 5000 lacks removable storage and comes with just 12MB of internal memory — not enough for even a few music tracks and photos.
Other features include a range of PIM (Personal Information Management) functions such as a converter, calculator, countdown timer, calendar, stopwatch, to-do list and notes. Bluetooth allows you to transfer files and use accessories such as headsets, but the lack of A2DP means you can’t stream music or radio to a wireless headset.
Virgin Mobile offers the 5000 for $149 on a prepaid plan that includes $5 Free to V credit to be used in the first 30 days. Alternatively, it is $0 upfront on a Free to V 20 Cap.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung files artificial muscle patent for use in flexible smartphones
- The affordable new Moto E grows in size, but not price
- Qualcomm's Snapdragon 821 is now the company's fastest mobile chip
- Snapchat launches Memories so you can save and search for past stories
- RIP: The BlackBerry Classic and its iconic keyboard is dead
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTBusiness Intelligence - Policy and Governance ManagerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCUX / UI Visual DesignerNSW
- FTProject Manager- Change ManagementSA
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/SQL) 160721/AP/624Asia
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- CCAccounts Reconciliation Officer/ AdministratorNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer (SCCM/SOE)WA
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- FTPortfolio Governance ConsultantNSW
- CCOracle Pl/SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence Developer - Initial 3mth ContractVIC
- FTSenior .Net Applications SupportACT
- CCService Management Specialist / ITILNSW
- FTSenior Architect, Marketing and Campaign ManagementNSW
- CCChange Analysts - multiple rolesNSW
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTDesktop Specialist - Application PackagingACT
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCExcel Modelling specialist/consultant.VIC