Simply put, Trine is a sexy looking game. The graphics are lush with detail and colour in all of the game's environments that include glowing forests, fiery castles, and gloomy caves.
- Stellar graphics, challenging puzzles, distinct character classes and abilities, fairytale storytelling
- High price for little replay value, wizard's magic can be touchy when drawing objects, funky physics
Trine is a high-production benchmark for downloadable games. Unfortunately it's a bit overpriced on the PC, so you might want to keep your eyes peeled for the PlayStation 3 version, which is cheaper.
Trine is a physics-based side-scrolling platformer where you control three distinct characters -- thief, warrior, and wizard. Each character has a simple set of abilities that help you progress through environmental puzzles like plank jumping, box stacking, and Tarzan rope-swinging situations. The physics are realistic enough to have you believe that wood reacts like it should as do heavy objects made of metal or rock. The physics can be a little finicky at times and unexpectedly lead to some frustrating deaths.
The three characters are what makes Trine an addicting experience. They each play completely unique and you can switch between each character at any time. Like characters from a Lord of the Rings novel, the thief is your ranged fighter and fastest character. Her weapon is the bow and arrow, which can be upgraded to multishot and fire arrows. She's the only character with a grappling hook that's used to hook and swing from overhanging wooden objects. The warrior is your basic fighter. He carries a sword and shield to combat the undead and is strong enough to lift and throw objects, which you'll find a rather useless skill. The wizard is most unique in that he is a non-combat character that conjures objects into the world to assist in difficult puzzle situations. The wizard can move objects with telekinesis and conjure boxes, planks, and floating platforms.
You'll find the beginning of the game to be quite simple as most puzzles can be traversed with even the warrior. By the end of the game, however, you'll be hard pressed to progress if the wizard is dead. This gets a little frustrating in the later lava levels when you absolutely need the wizard to create a box or floating platform for the thief to swing from.
For the role-playing fans, the character inventory system and skill tree are straight out of a Blizzard game. Each character has three skills that can be upgraded via skill points. For example, the wizard's box skill can be upgraded to sustain multiple boxes in the world at a time, the same goes for the number of planks. The warrior's damage is increased with each additional skill, eventually upgrading to a fire sword that deals fire damage. Skill points are awarded when you collect 50 green experience potions from defeating enemies and exploring hard to reach areas of the world.
The inventory system enables you to equip and swap around various amulets that add to your character's abilities or enhance damage effects to your weapons, such as poison or fire. But you'll have to find the amulets first. They are hidden in chests throughout the levels, and you'll want to find as many as you can. So don't go charging through the game like Rambo or you might miss out on valuable skill upgrades.
Looking Good for Downloadable
Simply put, Trine is a sexy looking game. The graphics are lush with detail and colour in all of the game's environments that include glowing forests, fiery castles, and gloomy caves. Skeleton minions attack with swords, shields, and heavy armour until your final blow crumples their feeble bodies into piles of bone and steel. The fairytale look will capture you immediately and keep you playing for a good few levels at the least to see what's coming next.
As for the controls, you need only move your character left or right and to jump. Your character's different abilities are mapped to the left and right mouse buttons and all work really well except for one: the game has difficulty recognising the difference between drawing a square and triangle. This is an issue with the wizard where drawing a square creates a box and drawing a triangle conjures a floating platform. If you accidentally add the smallest additional vertices to a triangle you will summon a box instead, which happens often and at the worst times. This gets infuriating when there are hordes of skeletons on your butt and you just want to escape.
Trine and Hold Out for PS3
In closing, Trine is an excellent downloadable game that will take you roughly four to five hours to complete. The graphics are amazing, the three characters are fun to play, and the fairytale story is cute. You might even be curious enough to finish the game and see what happens to the three hard-luck heroes. Our final suggestion, however, is to hold out for the PlayStation 3 version, which is cheaper.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTSenior Solution ArchitectSA
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTSalesforce AdministratorQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectQLD
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)NSW
- FTBI Developer l Microstrategy , HadoopNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- TPAnalyst Workplace SupportVIC
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectWA
- CCSenior consultant/ Solution ArchitectNSW