Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mario's reptilian nemesis finally gets his due
- Beautiful 2D graphics, solid combat, everything Fawful does and says is awesome
- Too much mandatory button-mashing, feels gimmicky at points
Bowser's Inside Story is a game that will have you laughing one moment and cursing the next but you'll enjoy doing both.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Although he's caused Mario and his friends all kinds of headaches, King Bowser has slowly evolved into one of the most lovable characters in the Nintendo universe. He's lived in Mario's shadow for most of his career but he's finally getting some much deserved time in the spotlight in Bowser's Inside Story, a wacky RPG that centers on the self-centred and wilfully stupid monarch.
Beauty and the Beast
The beauty of Bowser is that he is not burdened with an excessive backstory nor is there an ill-conceived attempt to give him a complex personality. Bowser is a struggling 'everyman' who only wants to get some respect in a frustrating world. Easily tricked and abused by his enemies, it's hard not to feel sorry for him.
Your mission in Bowser's Inside Story is to help him stop failing at life, if only by a little bit. In battle you'll help Bowser maul his foes with mighty punches, scorching firebreath, and swarms of his tiny minions. When he fails, Bowser is often helpless until Mario & Luigi-accidentally devoured by Bowser earlier in the game-can do something to help him. They might play a mini-game to give Bowser a burst of strength or use an adrenaline rush to grow him into a lumbering giant.
The Shiny, Candy-Like Button
Battle and mini-games in Bowser's Inside Story are all about gruelling precision, in stark contrast to the cartoony graphics and goofy plot. Even common enemies demand careful counter-attacking and blocking. Most activities boil down to your ability to press exactly the right button at exactly the right time. These challenges are rewarding if simple. Other bits that involve frenzied button-mashing or stylus-swiping are far less memorable.
The plot mostly concerns Bowser's attempts wrest control of his destiny back from the endlessly quotable Fawful, who's trying to conquer the Mushroom Kingdom using the goofiest methods possible. Fawful isn't new to Bowser's Inside Story but he really takes on a life of his own here, hilarious in every single appearance. The whole game manages to be funny from beginning to end, a feat few games can manage.
Bowser's Inside Story is a game that will have you laughing one moment and cursing the next but you'll enjoy doing both. The cutscenes and challenges are equally entertaining, if in very different ways. Bowser's Inside Story works hard to make sure it's never boring or mindlessly repetitive and quite nearly succeeds. It's a must have for any DS owner, especially fans of the Mario universe.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)WA
- CCAgile CoachNSW
- CCService Desk Quality Assurance AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Information Security ConsultantQLD
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- CCLevel 2 IT Service Desk OfficerQLD
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD
- CCSenior Automation TesterQLD
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- CCBusiness Test Lead - BRT/UATNSW
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)VIC