Nikon COOLPIX 7900
- Nice image quality
- Blur warning and red-eye fix functions not effective enough, lacks functions
A high-resolution camera that does its best to prevent you taking bad shots.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
The Coolpix 7900 does its best to prevent you from taking bad shots. Its Blur Warning lets you know when camera shake or hand shake has affected a shot--but we found far too many blurred shots still slipped past the sensor's eye. D-Lighting compensates for insufficient flash or excessive backlighting. When tone is adjusted, a new picture is created automatically, in addition to the original. The end result is a brighter picture. Nikon's in-camera red-eye fix function automatically detects and corrects red eyes in-camera. On some shots, it does the job well, but it can also give some subjects a glazed eye effect or completely miss some red eyes.
The Coolpix 7900 features a 3X Zoom-Nikkor ED lens (with focal range equivalent of a 38-114mm lens in 35mm format) and takes shots at 7.1 megapixels. It has a top resolution of 3072 x 2304. Images saved at this setting and at Fine quality are more than suitable for A3 enlargements. All image information is saved to either its 14MB internal memory, or to an SD card.
The 7900's body is easy to hold. For ease of use, the camera omits manual functions such as aperture and shutter priority, but has a large range of presets and auto-settings available.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- Camera app makers tap into RAW power with iOS, and look forward to dual lenses
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- TPSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- CCNetwork Systems Engineer l Application Support l Linux l Port MacquarieNSW
- CCProject/ Operational CoordinatorNSW
- FTSnr SOC Security Coordinator - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCService Desk Consultant-Baseline Clearance RequiredNSW
- FTBI Tech Lead l SQL/RDMS/ DB2/ ETL/ UML/ XML/ Big Data technologiesNSW
- CCSAP UX ArchitectACT
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTManager - Field ServicesVIC
- FTSystems AnalystSA
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Travel and Expense Management SystemQLD
- FTData Analyst - MDMNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Vendor Transition - ApplicationsNSW
- CCTester- InfrastructureACT
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystNSW
- FTBack End DeveloperNSW
- CCLead DevOps Architect l AWS- Cloud- Linux- Puppet Ansible- JIRA-DatadogNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- TPTechnical Solution ArchitectVIC
- TPSenior|Principal SAP HR Functional ConsultantQLD
- TPDigital Business Analyst | AgileQLD
- CCTest AnalystQLD