Netgear Australia MP101
- Simple and elegant design, easy to set up and use
- No digital output
Netgear's MP 101 is a great wireless audio player with an easy setup and straightforward operation. It's only lacking a digital output.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Netgear's MP101 wireless digital music player is built to share audio from a PC or an Internet music streaming service to a home stereo. It works over either an Ethernet or wireless connection.
As with most network media players, the MP101 includes both a software and hardware component. Software is installed on any PCs with a music database, which then allows the MP101 to access and play back the audio files remotely over a network.
Installation takes a couple of minutes, and the MP101 ships with Ethernet and RCA cables to interface with a home stereo and network router (though you obviously won't need the Ethernet cable if you intend to connect to a wireless router). There's also a handy quick installation guide that takes the sting out of initially setting up the product, but provided you install the software before plugging the MP101 into the network, the setup is close to foolproof.
Once you have the software installed on a PC, and it has catalogued your MP3 and WMA files, you can turn on the MP101 and configure it via the bundled remote control. The device will automatically try to pick up a network address from a network router via DHCP, or you can configure the details of your wireless network directly via remote. WEP encryption is fully supported; however, there is no provision for the more robust WPA security.
The MP101 is a relatively simple device, with the back plate offering 802.11b Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections along with RCA and 3.5mm audio line outs. There's no digital output to speak of, so you're limited to analog. This may not be a concern for many buyers; however, those with substantial investments in high fidelity audio would want to look elsewhere.
The MP 101 works effectively. We detected no glitches in playback or files that refused to read during the test process. A backlit four-line LCD on the front of the machine offers enough information on playlists and track information, and is visible from a few metres away--making it ideal for a lounge room.
Netgear--known as a networking company--has done a good job in preparing the MP101 for a home theatre environment. The sleek silver device features rounded edges and measures 24 x 19 x 6.5cm (including antenna), and would look at home with most modern home entertainment setups. The remote control is well laid out and matches elegantly. In fact, the Netgear device is a great choice if you don't specifically demand a digital connection to a home stereo. Even better, it is backed up by a three-year warranty.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTInfrastructure Architect (Adelaide Based)VIC
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCSOA Oracle DeveloperNSW
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- TPEnvironment Specialist(DevOps)QLD
- FTBranch Practice Manager - SecurityQLD
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPSharePoint AnalystQLD
- CCData ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Automation TesterQLD
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTClient Delivery ManagerSA
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- FTSAP BW ConsultantACT
- CCService Desk Quality Assurance AnalystNSW
- CCPMO ManagerNSW