Nero Multimedia Suite 10 Platinum HD
The new version of Nero adds in Blu-ray recording, new video features
- Tonnes of features, Blu-ray movie playback and creation, improved video editing, convenient new MediaHub organiser/player/editor
- Unattractive interface in some spots, unintuitive workflow in older modules
Nero's exceedingly powerful burning suite adds Blu-ray movie playback and creation, the Move It plug-in for converting media for use on mobile devices, and improved video editing; but interface challenges continue to hamper it.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
Nero recently refreshed its Multimedia Suite 10, which it had extensively revised only last spring. The Multimedia Suite 10 Platinum HD adds Blu-ray movie creation and playback to a broad feature set that already comprised audio and video editing and conversion, data disc creation, DVD authoring, and more. The new $109 Video Premiumits HD is a subset consisting of the video-oriented components, plus support for creating and playing back Blu-ray movies.
The $199.95 high-end version of the suite also offers the Move It plug-in, which automatically converts and sends media back and forth between your PC and mobile devices such as iPods and Android phones. Previously this capability was available only as a stand-alone product.
Nero supplements Platinum HD with 5GB of online backup storage, as well as with the company's Creative Collection Pack 1, containing a host of new content--such as picture-in-picture layouts, transitions, and themes--for creating professional-looking DVD movie discs consisting of its and the like.
I did run into a glitch with the installation process: The serial number is placed in such a way on the disc sleeve that it was rendered ineligible when I used a sharp object to slice open the seal. Thereafter, however, my hands-on with Nero MSP HD was rewarding. Blu-ray playback and creation worked fine, and the Move It plug-in performed as advertised, though Move It would still benefit from some interface revisions.
One neat trick that Move It has up its sleeve is the ability to create transcoding profiles based on the media it finds on your device. If you have an oddball mobile device that Move It doesn't recognise, this feature is very handy. Another treat: You can export--not just--read .flv (Flash video) files.
Nero Video Premium HD includes a nicely improved version of the Nero Vision Xtra video editing and authoring program, the Nero Media Hub player/media organizer/image editor/slideshow creator, and the aforementioned Creative Collection Pack 1.
A host of small changes have improved the video modules, which are identical in both new versions of the suite. Among the enhancements are nVidia CUDA support, bypassing the encoding of video material that already matches the output format, and multicore CPU support. MediaHub now recognises and imports from both Windows Media Player and iTunes libraries. My fondest hope is that Nero will apply its new-style MediaHub interface to Nero Vision in the near future. Vision is capable and easy to use, but it looks a tad amateurish.
All of the upgrades to Multimedia Suite 10 Platinum HD and Video Premium HD are welcome, and they include quite a few minor usability tweaks that I haven't mentioned. Otherwise, the suites' strengths and weaknesses remain the same: Both are as powerful as any you can find, but neither is quite as easy to use as it could be. The cheaper Multimedia Suite 10 without Blu-ray will remain available, too.
A final note: The stand-alone Video Premium HD package is a smart move on Nero's part. Though free programs are available that cover most of the data, audio, and backup chores that Nero Multimedia Suite 10 handles, Blu-ray playback and creation remain strictly within the purview of pay programs. Obtaining authoring and playback tools in a $109 package is a very tempting offer.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delays tools for third-party Cortana integrations
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- Pwn2Own hacking contest ends with two virtual machine escapes
- It's time to turn on HTTPS: the benefits are well worth the effort
- Windows Vista has just 30 days to live
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Security) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Forecasting SASNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Integration - Bespoke ProjectQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Technology SpecialistVIC
- FTERP Reporting AnalystNSW
- TPSenior/Lead AEM DeveloperQLD
- CCProject Manager - Security DomainVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - ApplicationsSA
- FTTechnical Writer - Reports EditorQLD
- FTSolutions Architects - 10 roles availableACT
- TPBusiness Change ManagerQLD
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- TPSAP Data Migration LeadQLD
- TP.Net Software DeveloperQLD
- FTTechnical Project Manager ( IT Infrastructure)ACT
- FTAEM Architect - Blue Chip organisationNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect - StorageVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst/Project MangerVIC