NEC P221W LCD monitor
This attractive, well-designed 22-inch widescreen monitor offers fantastic image quality.
- Excellent image quality
- Pricey in comparison to other displays
Attractive and well-designed, this professional display offers fantastic image quality. But it also comes with a very high price.
Price$ 1,255.00 (AUD)
This attractive, well-designed 22-inch widescreen monitor offers impeccable image quality. But at $1255, it's extremely pricey, particularly when you consider that other 22-inch displays can be found for $400 or less.
In our tests, the P221w showed beautiful colour and sharp, easy-to-read text, even at small font sizes. It also handled our motion tests with aplomb, showing negligent blurring. NEC gears this display to specialised uses such as graphic design, and many of the controls in the on-screen display certainly are aimed at fine-tuning the screen. For instance, you can make manual adjustments to the monitor's red, green, and blue levels individually.
The P221w also offers hardware calibration, an unusual extra that will likely appeal photographers and others who might want to adjust the whitepoint or gamma curve. NEC also sells calibration software for the P221w — the software enables further fine adjustments to the screen.
The monitor pivots and adjusts easily, and the unit's smooth black finish would grace any desk quite nicely. The P221w includes DVI and VGA ports for hooking it up to a PC, but it lacks both HDMI and DisplayPort connections.
Still, unless, perhaps, you're a graphics specialist, $1255 seems a high price to pay, even for rock-solid image quality and high-level controls. As mentioned, you can find a decent 22-inch widescreen now for $400 or less, and during these uncertain economic times, it makes sense to watch where you spend your hard-earned cash.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
- LG's ultra-thin touchscreen panels will enable lighter, thinner notebooks
- Curved displays from TVs see uptake in PCs, monitors
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FT.NET Tech LeadVIC
- CCSystem AdminVIC
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsVIC
- CCOracle Business AnalystSA
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- FTProject Support OfficerWA
- CCContract System Analyst (CISCO/SSLVPN/Firewall) 160211/SA/551Asia
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - QlikviewVIC
- FTJava or Ruby Web DeveloperVIC
- CCJira Administrator - Western SydneyNSW
- CCData Stage DeveloperNSW
- CCProcurement Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Project AnalystVIC
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- CCSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- CCSystems AnalystQLD
- FTImplementation Consultant, Enterprise SoftwareNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- CCOracle Test LeadNSW
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Research Data ProjectNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT