- High level of recording functionality, Incredibly well designed and integrated interface
- Some minor problems with the remote, 12 month warranty only
An exceptional recorder, inhibited only by a lackluster remote, the NEC NDH-160 is the perfect option for those looking for all the efficiency and functionality of LG's RH7926W, but minus the high price tag.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Very similar to the LG RH7926W, NEC's NDH-160 differs only aesthetically to the LG, utilising the same interface, design and features. A strong focus on recording and a few minor remote control foibles characterise this recorder.
Recording functionality dominates the feature set of the NDH-160, with time-shift, one touch recording, and an incredibly easy to use and well integrated interface. Setting timed recordings, repeatable recordings, and changing recording options is simple and efficient. Recording from TV to either HDD or DVD, or dubbing between the two were both intuitive and simple processes, largely due to the standout interface.
The remote control was the only let down, lacking a button to switch between DVD and HDD modes, and making use of a stiff and inconvenient slide-down cover to reveal DVD playback options. A few blank, and apparently function-less buttons also left us slightly confused, but nevertheless, the remote proved to be intuitive and responsive.
With an impressive range of supported media (including a 3-in-1 card reader), and a respectable array of connection options, the NEC is well suited to a position at the centre of any home entertainment setup.
For more information on the NDH-160, please refer to our review of the LG RH7926W, as all the information contained therein is pertinent to the NEC as well. Both recorders performed identically in our tests, and sported the same design and interface, barring some minor aesthetic differences, such as branding and button shape/placement.
The only identifiable differences were the hard drive size (the NEC sports 160GB as opposed to the LG's 250GB), the warranty (LG provides an additional 24 months, on top of NEC's 12) and the price (at the time of writing, the NEC weighed in a full $500 cheaper in RRP).
Essentially a lower budget version of the LG RH7926W,, the NDH-160 nevertheless contains all of the standout features which made the LG one of our favourite recorders. Users happy with the lower warranty period, and smaller hard drive will find the NEC to be an exceptional recording unit.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSAP MM / Ariba Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTSCCM Applications PackagerWA
- FTSAP PI ABAP SpecialistVIC
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCLead Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCIteration Manager/Project ManagerVIC
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- CCSenior Test AnalystWA
- CCBusiness Analyst - Microsoft Active DirectoryNSW
- FTMobility Test AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (ERP)NSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - InsuranceVIC
- CCSenior SAP BW & HANA Developer/Technical ArchitectVIC
- CCCisco CCIE Certified Network EngineerWA
- CCBusiness Analyst - Logistic and TransportVIC
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCServiceNow Technical LeadNSW
- FTPHP Developer (full stack)WA
- FTSolution Architect - Digital (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTIT Helpdesk (Microsoft)NSW
- CCLead DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCAccounts Reconciliation Officer/ AdministratorNSW