- High level of recording functionality, Incredibly well designed and integrated interface
- Some minor problems with the remote, 12 month warranty only
An exceptional recorder, inhibited only by a lackluster remote, the NEC NDH-160 is the perfect option for those looking for all the efficiency and functionality of LG's RH7926W, but minus the high price tag.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
Very similar to the LG RH7926W, NEC's NDH-160 differs only aesthetically to the LG, utilising the same interface, design and features. A strong focus on recording and a few minor remote control foibles characterise this recorder.
Recording functionality dominates the feature set of the NDH-160, with time-shift, one touch recording, and an incredibly easy to use and well integrated interface. Setting timed recordings, repeatable recordings, and changing recording options is simple and efficient. Recording from TV to either HDD or DVD, or dubbing between the two were both intuitive and simple processes, largely due to the standout interface.
The remote control was the only let down, lacking a button to switch between DVD and HDD modes, and making use of a stiff and inconvenient slide-down cover to reveal DVD playback options. A few blank, and apparently function-less buttons also left us slightly confused, but nevertheless, the remote proved to be intuitive and responsive.
With an impressive range of supported media (including a 3-in-1 card reader), and a respectable array of connection options, the NEC is well suited to a position at the centre of any home entertainment setup.
For more information on the NDH-160, please refer to our review of the LG RH7926W, as all the information contained therein is pertinent to the NEC as well. Both recorders performed identically in our tests, and sported the same design and interface, barring some minor aesthetic differences, such as branding and button shape/placement.
The only identifiable differences were the hard drive size (the NEC sports 160GB as opposed to the LG's 250GB), the warranty (LG provides an additional 24 months, on top of NEC's 12) and the price (at the time of writing, the NEC weighed in a full $500 cheaper in RRP).
Essentially a lower budget version of the LG RH7926W,, the NDH-160 nevertheless contains all of the standout features which made the LG one of our favourite recorders. Users happy with the lower warranty period, and smaller hard drive will find the NEC to be an exceptional recording unit.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
- The guts of Onkyo's SBT-A500 sound bar come in an external box to give the speaker an ultra-low profile
- Plex embraces Kodi as Plex Media Player becomes available to all
- 'Google Cast' is being phased out in favor of Chromecast for connected TVs and speakers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- TPBusiness Objects DeveloperNSW
- CCJunior Project ManagerQLD
- FTManager - Field ServicesVIC
- TPSenior Test Analyst - TAFEQLD
- CCNetwork Systems Engineer l Application Support l Linux l Port MacquarieNSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Business AnalystQLD
- FTMid Level Infrastructure Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Front End Web DeveloperNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant/Systems AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTProduction control - batch schedulingNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Finance & Lending - Brisbane Based RoleVIC
- FTLead Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- FTRegional Sales Manager - Telco/ICT - Employer of choiceQLD
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - APS 6 non-ongoingACT
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCSystem Engineer - AdelaideWA
- FTSecurity Incident / SOC Analyst (Tier 1) - Permanent - North Ryde BasedNSW
- FTIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCSenior Full-stack .Net DeveloperNSW