- High level of recording functionality, Incredibly well designed and integrated interface
- Some minor problems with the remote, 12 month warranty only
An exceptional recorder, inhibited only by a lackluster remote, the NEC NDH-160 is the perfect option for those looking for all the efficiency and functionality of LG's RH7926W, but minus the high price tag.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
Very similar to the LG RH7926W, NEC's NDH-160 differs only aesthetically to the LG, utilising the same interface, design and features. A strong focus on recording and a few minor remote control foibles characterise this recorder.
Recording functionality dominates the feature set of the NDH-160, with time-shift, one touch recording, and an incredibly easy to use and well integrated interface. Setting timed recordings, repeatable recordings, and changing recording options is simple and efficient. Recording from TV to either HDD or DVD, or dubbing between the two were both intuitive and simple processes, largely due to the standout interface.
The remote control was the only let down, lacking a button to switch between DVD and HDD modes, and making use of a stiff and inconvenient slide-down cover to reveal DVD playback options. A few blank, and apparently function-less buttons also left us slightly confused, but nevertheless, the remote proved to be intuitive and responsive.
With an impressive range of supported media (including a 3-in-1 card reader), and a respectable array of connection options, the NEC is well suited to a position at the centre of any home entertainment setup.
For more information on the NDH-160, please refer to our review of the LG RH7926W, as all the information contained therein is pertinent to the NEC as well. Both recorders performed identically in our tests, and sported the same design and interface, barring some minor aesthetic differences, such as branding and button shape/placement.
The only identifiable differences were the hard drive size (the NEC sports 160GB as opposed to the LG's 250GB), the warranty (LG provides an additional 24 months, on top of NEC's 12) and the price (at the time of writing, the NEC weighed in a full $500 cheaper in RRP).
Essentially a lower budget version of the LG RH7926W,, the NDH-160 nevertheless contains all of the standout features which made the LG one of our favourite recorders. Users happy with the lower warranty period, and smaller hard drive will find the NEC to be an exceptional recording unit.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- FTMicrosoft ConsultantVIC
- TPSenior Applications Support OfficerQLD
- FTPre- Sales Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!SA
- FTFinancial ERP Customer SME / Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - SQLACT
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- CCTest Reporter - Gold CoastQLD
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW