- High level of recording functionality, Incredibly well designed and integrated interface
- Some minor problems with the remote, 12 month warranty only
An exceptional recorder, inhibited only by a lackluster remote, the NEC NDH-160 is the perfect option for those looking for all the efficiency and functionality of LG's RH7926W, but minus the high price tag.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
Very similar to the LG RH7926W, NEC's NDH-160 differs only aesthetically to the LG, utilising the same interface, design and features. A strong focus on recording and a few minor remote control foibles characterise this recorder.
Recording functionality dominates the feature set of the NDH-160, with time-shift, one touch recording, and an incredibly easy to use and well integrated interface. Setting timed recordings, repeatable recordings, and changing recording options is simple and efficient. Recording from TV to either HDD or DVD, or dubbing between the two were both intuitive and simple processes, largely due to the standout interface.
The remote control was the only let down, lacking a button to switch between DVD and HDD modes, and making use of a stiff and inconvenient slide-down cover to reveal DVD playback options. A few blank, and apparently function-less buttons also left us slightly confused, but nevertheless, the remote proved to be intuitive and responsive.
With an impressive range of supported media (including a 3-in-1 card reader), and a respectable array of connection options, the NEC is well suited to a position at the centre of any home entertainment setup.
For more information on the NDH-160, please refer to our review of the LG RH7926W, as all the information contained therein is pertinent to the NEC as well. Both recorders performed identically in our tests, and sported the same design and interface, barring some minor aesthetic differences, such as branding and button shape/placement.
The only identifiable differences were the hard drive size (the NEC sports 160GB as opposed to the LG's 250GB), the warranty (LG provides an additional 24 months, on top of NEC's 12) and the price (at the time of writing, the NEC weighed in a full $500 cheaper in RRP).
Essentially a lower budget version of the LG RH7926W,, the NDH-160 nevertheless contains all of the standout features which made the LG one of our favourite recorders. Users happy with the lower warranty period, and smaller hard drive will find the NEC to be an exceptional recording unit.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- FTPre- Sales Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- TPMobile DeveloperWA
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTMicrosoft ProgrammerSA
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- CCData Engineer (Java/ Data/ Big Data Developer)VIC
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- TPPerformance Test Analyst - Perth BasedQLD
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCSOE EngineerACT
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- CCService Desk Analyst - TelcoTAS
- CCCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial ServicesVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- CCSQL Database AdministratorQLD