NEC MultiSync LCD1980FXi
- Awesome image, great adjustment
- A little pricey
Outstanding image quality and adjustability. The cost would be easily justified if you were after top-quality output from a TFT.
Price$ 1,295.00 (AUD)
NEC's MultiSync LCD 1980FXi is all about function over form. The 19" monitor sports an extremely basic design, with a thin black bezel edging the screen and otherwise blocky appearance. Although the 1980FXi isn't as sleek as most other 19" monitors, it boasts a stunning on-screen image, great ergonomic adjustment and both VGA and DVI inputs (you can switch between the two).
The screen runs in a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 pixels and measures 40 x 20 x 50cm. It weighs in at 9kg, making it one of the heavier screens around, but the base is solid and it doesn't move around on the desk.
The ergonomic enhancements are outstanding: the unit employs a telescopic stand that includes internal springs to keep the screen floating. It's possible to grab the screen and move it up and down to suit different users, and the monitor face is mounted on a ball joint for even more movement. What's more, the 19" screen can pivot between landscape and portrait modes, making it ideal for people editing long passages of text on screen. Seven buttons adorn the bottom bezel, providing quick and effective navigation of the on-screen menu. The auto-adjustment feature does a reasonable job of setting up the monitor, but with a little extra tweaking we found the image quality soared. Internal 10-bit colour correction ensures that images are rich. In fact, brightness, contrast and colour balance are all excellent, and the screen is ideal for workers looking at images all day--graphic designers and CAD operators take note. NEC offers a software package called GammaComp that allows the user to define a gamma curve. There's no direct ICC support, but the curve lets the knowledgeable user fine-tune the image ad infinitum. The screen brightness also be adjusted based on ambient light if desired.
There are numerous extra elegant touches to help make this monitor appeal to different markets. One is support for tile mode, where you can use a group of 1980FXi screens to display a single image at a trade show or public demonstration. Of course, the screen features a VESA mount.
NEC provides a three-year warranty, which you would expect for a monitor in this price bracket. The image quality and ergonomic adjustments more than justify the price.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia Lumia 830 review: Punching above its weight
- 2 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 3 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 4 Bose QuietComfort 25 review: A traveller's companion
- 5 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Drupal: If you weren't quick to patch, assume your site was hacked
- Smartphone share of overall mobile phone sales stalling at 70 percent
- Pirate Bay co-founder found guilty of hacking in Denmark
- Germany backs plan to retain personal flight data across EU
- China: Facebook not banned, but must follow the rules
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW