NEC MultiSync LCD1980FXi
- Awesome image, great adjustment
- A little pricey
Outstanding image quality and adjustability. The cost would be easily justified if you were after top-quality output from a TFT.
Price$ 1,295.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
NEC's MultiSync LCD 1980FXi is all about function over form. The 19" monitor sports an extremely basic design, with a thin black bezel edging the screen and otherwise blocky appearance. Although the 1980FXi isn't as sleek as most other 19" monitors, it boasts a stunning on-screen image, great ergonomic adjustment and both VGA and DVI inputs (you can switch between the two).
The screen runs in a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 pixels and measures 40 x 20 x 50cm. It weighs in at 9kg, making it one of the heavier screens around, but the base is solid and it doesn't move around on the desk.
The ergonomic enhancements are outstanding: the unit employs a telescopic stand that includes internal springs to keep the screen floating. It's possible to grab the screen and move it up and down to suit different users, and the monitor face is mounted on a ball joint for even more movement. What's more, the 19" screen can pivot between landscape and portrait modes, making it ideal for people editing long passages of text on screen.
Seven buttons adorn the bottom bezel, providing quick and effective navigation of the on-screen menu. The auto-adjustment feature does a reasonable job of setting up the monitor, but with a little extra tweaking we found the image quality soared. Internal 10-bit colour correction ensures that images are rich. In fact, brightness, contrast and colour balance are all excellent, and the screen is ideal for workers looking at images all day--graphic designers and CAD operators take note. NEC offers a software package called GammaComp that allows the user to define a gamma curve. There's no direct ICC support, but the curve lets the knowledgeable user fine-tune the image ad infinitum. The screen brightness also be adjusted based on ambient light if desired.
There are numerous extra elegant touches to help make this monitor appeal to different markets. One is support for tile mode, where you can use a group of 1980FXi screens to display a single image at a trade show or public demonstration. Of course, the screen features a VESA mount.
NEC provides a three-year warranty, which you would expect for a monitor in this price bracket. The image quality and ergonomic adjustments more than justify the price.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
- LG's ultra-thin touchscreen panels will enable lighter, thinner notebooks
- Curved displays from TVs see uptake in PCs, monitors
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- FTTechnology Risk ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Revenue Systems Functional AnalystSA
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCSystems TrainerVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCSenior Analyst, Applications - GDWVIC
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/SQL) 160421/P/903Asia
- CCChange Manager x 2NSW
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW
- CCInfrastructure Assurance OfficerACT
- CCWeb AdministratorACT
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC
- CCCommVault Backp EngineerNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT