Harvest Moon: Frantic Farming
Frantic Farming is a Harvest Moon game in title only, because with this specific entry the franchise has officially branched out (pun intended) into the puzzle genre.
- Characters are charming and have lots of personality, lots of game-type and multiplayer options
- Uneven difficulty progression and shallow story
Harvest Moon: Frantic Farming is a good, if not somewhat familiar, puzzler.
When you think of farming, probably the last adjective that comes to mind is frantic; but when you combine farming with Harvesting-Elves (aka Sprites), crops made of solid gold, and cowboys who pull up vegetables with lassos, the term "frantic" almost seems like an understatement.
However, beyond those electrifying aspects of Harvest Moon: Frantic Farming rests the bread and butter of every puzzle game: colored block manipulation. In Frantic Farming you'll attempt to grow and harvest various crops (each represented by a unique icon and color) as quickly as possible. You'll do this by lining up the mature crops so that a Sprite can pluck them from your field. With each plucked crop the Sprite will plant new ones, which will grow and eventually need to be harvested as well. But like all competent puzzle games, understanding the simple and straightforward premise is only half of the agricultural-battle; the real meat of the gameplay is found in its mastery.
Unfortunately, in order for a player to lay claim to Frantic Farming mastery, he'll need to perfect one specific technique. This would be alright if the game slowly built up its focus on that aspect, but instead it asks you to master it in the course of a level, making for very uneven difficulty and a couple of frustrating rounds. But that's a small gripe for what is otherwise a good, if not somewhat familiar, puzzler.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Divinity: Original Sin II preview: Choose your own reactive, gloriously chaotic adventure
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole preview: With great farts come great responsibility
- Konami's Metal Gear Survive is a co-op zombie survival game
- Microsoft wants all your devices to run on Xbox One’s proprietary wireless signal
- Warning: No Man’s Sky's PC port is broken and buggy
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTCyber Security Sales Executive / Account DirectorNSW
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- FTSAP FI/CO module- Tester/ Quality AnalystNSW
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160818/P/265Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- FTSAP BASIS HANA ConsultantNSW
- FTIT Security & Risk ManagerNSW
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- CCSecurity ArchitectACT
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- FTOperations ManagerNSW
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Android DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical Support - iPAD, iPhone, Apple devicesNSW
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- FTUNIX, LINUX , VM System AdministrationNSW