Harvest Moon: Frantic Farming
Frantic Farming is a Harvest Moon game in title only, because with this specific entry the franchise has officially branched out (pun intended) into the puzzle genre.
- Characters are charming and have lots of personality, lots of game-type and multiplayer options
- Uneven difficulty progression and shallow story
Harvest Moon: Frantic Farming is a good, if not somewhat familiar, puzzler.
When you think of farming, probably the last adjective that comes to mind is frantic; but when you combine farming with Harvesting-Elves (aka Sprites), crops made of solid gold, and cowboys who pull up vegetables with lassos, the term "frantic" almost seems like an understatement.
However, beyond those electrifying aspects of Harvest Moon: Frantic Farming rests the bread and butter of every puzzle game: colored block manipulation. In Frantic Farming you'll attempt to grow and harvest various crops (each represented by a unique icon and color) as quickly as possible. You'll do this by lining up the mature crops so that a Sprite can pluck them from your field. With each plucked crop the Sprite will plant new ones, which will grow and eventually need to be harvested as well. But like all competent puzzle games, understanding the simple and straightforward premise is only half of the agricultural-battle; the real meat of the gameplay is found in its mastery.
Unfortunately, in order for a player to lay claim to Frantic Farming mastery, he'll need to perfect one specific technique. This would be alright if the game slowly built up its focus on that aspect, but instead it asks you to master it in the course of a level, making for very uneven difficulty and a couple of frustrating rounds. But that's a small gripe for what is otherwise a good, if not somewhat familiar, puzzler.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- This week in games: Blizzard ditches Battle.net, Gears of War 4 adds PC split-screen
- Forza Horizon 3 (PC) review impressions: Get ready to make your graphics card sweat
- How Xbox Project Scorpio and the PS4 Pro can play 4K games: Visual compromises
- Games yanked from Steam after developer sues users for nasty negative reviews
- BioShock Remastered's brand new PC port is just as bad as the old one
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC