MSI PX600 notebook
The MSI PX600 is a 15.4in laptop with a leather-bound lid and a good CPU
- Looks good, genuine leather-bound lid, fast processor, fast hard drive, eSATA port, HDMI port
- Keyboard is spongy, notebook is heavy
The MSI PX600 notebook has an attractive design and powerful components. It also has plenty of ports, such as eSATA and HDMI. We weren't particularly pleased with its keyboard, however.
Price$ 2,020.00 (AUD)
The MSI PX600 is an attractive leather-bound notebook that has a fast processor, plenty of RAM and a good price. However, this 15.4in laptop comes with a keyboard that is too spongy and it weighs a hefty 2.75kg (not including the power supply).
Laptops like the NEC Versa E6510-2505DR have plastic or 'pleather' cases that attempt to replicate the real deal, but to MSI’s credit, the PX600 laptop uses genuine cow-hide on the lid. Coupled with a piano-black palm rest and touch-sensitive buttons, the notebook looks good and isn't gaudy.
Under the hood are a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 CPU, 4GB of DDR2 RAM and a 500GB hard drive that spins at 5400rpm. MSI has partitioned the hard drive into a 50GB C: drive and a 450GB D: drive, but this can be a problem if you install a lot of programs (say four or five games and office applications). You might find yourself running out of space sooner rather than later, although you can still install programs on the second partition.
To test the speed of the hard drive we copied a 1.06GB folder from one location on the drive to another and recorded a speed of 28.89 megabytes per second. This is very fast when compared to the Sony VAIO VGN-Z17GN/B's speed of 19.74MBps. In general the laptop runs very smoothly, as shown by its WorldBench 6 score of 99. This means that hardware-intensive tasks like video editing and file compression can be conducted relatively swiftly (for a laptop).
The processor is excellent, as proven by our MP3 encoding and Blender 3D rendering benchmarks. In iTunes it took 1min 10sec to convert 53min of WAV into 192Kbps MP3 files; in Blender 3D it took 1min 14sec to render a 3D image.
The MSI PX600 has an NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS, which is a dedicated graphics card but not a powerful one. Although it only got a score of 1525 in 3Dmark06, you’ll still be able play older games like Half Life 2; newer games like F.E.A.R. or Empire: Total War will not run smoothly if at all. If you’re looking for a gaming laptop, you’ll probably have to spend more than $2020.
We were disappointed by the MSI PX600 laptop's spongy full-sized keyboard and number pad. The lack of bounce-back makes it hard for touch-typists to be certain they’ve hit keys accurately. Because the touchpad is positioned so close to the left palm-rest, our left thumb often moved the cursor when we didn't intend it to. Fortunately the touchpad can be switched off, so this isn’t a major concern.
The MSI PX600 notebook weighs 2.75kg without its power supply and 3.3kg with it included, which is heavier than usual for a 15.4in laptop. Our DVD rundown test ran for 1hr 20min; this is a slightly lower than average battery life for a 15.4in laptop. If you’re planning to work on the road, it might be worth looking at a smaller laptop like the Toshiba Satellite U400 / H00 (PSU44A-00H00C).
For networking, the MSI PX600 laptop has an 802.11n wireless module and a Gigabit Ethernet port.
The MSI PX600 can connect to newer plasma and LCD TVs using the HDMI port located on the back. You can also connect it to external monitors using the D-Sub port. There are three USB 2.0 ports, and one of them doubles as an eSATA port. An ExpressCard/54 slot can be found on the right side of the unit, above the 4-in-1 card reader (SD, MMC, MS, xD).
Although the full-sized keyboard is a too spongy for touch-typing and the unit is slightly heavier than usual for a 15.4in notebook, the powerful components and attractive design make it worth checking out.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Everything we think we know about Samsung’s Galaxy Tab S3
- Lenovo's ThinkPad P71 will work with HTC, Oculus VR headsets
- Lenovo's Yoga A12 Android 2-in-1 has futuristic touch panel keyboard
- In PC comeback, ARM will battle Intel in Chromebooks and Windows 10
- Dell: Mainstream laptops with wireless charging are still years away
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTIT Business AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Automation TesterQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- FTERP Data Migration Consultant - Software Company - Permanent - SydneyNSW
- TPSenior Applications Support OfficerQLD
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- TPSpatial Science OfficerQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCService Designer (CX)NSW
- FTHRIS ConsultantQLD
- TPChange AnalystQLD
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- CCApplication Services Administrator (Linux)NSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect l Practice Manager - Archimate 3.0, eTOMNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC