Motorola S705 SoundPilot
- Includes headphones but 3.5mm jack means you can use your own, caller ID display, decent sound quality, FM radio
- No hold key, fiddly control stick, slight delay during music resume after a call
The S705 SoundPilot is convenient if you want a hands free unit capable of wirelessly streaming music via Bluetooth. It's not cheap though and the sound quality isn't outstanding.
Price$ 174.95 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
- Optimus L7 299.00
The Motorola S705 SoundPilot is a wireless Bluetooth stereo headset that can stream music via any A2DP compatible mobile phone or music player. The S705 doubles as a hands-free headset, has an FM radio and features a small display that shows caller ID and music track information.
A2DP stands for Advanced Audio Distribution Profile and is a technology that lets devices stream stereo sound via Bluetooth. Connecting the S705 SoundPilot is simply a matter of pairing it with your phone, like you would a Bluetooth device. The S705 connected successfully and remained problem-free.
A small display on the S705 lists current track, and also provides feedback on battery charge and Bluetooth status. The four-way navigational stick used to control the headset may be difficult to control for those with large fingers. A call handling button and menu button adorn the right and left sides of the S705 respectively.
When the phone rings, a quick glance at the display reveals the number and name (if in your phonebook). Calls are answered using the call handling button and rejected by the menu button., During a call "on a call" appears on the headset display. The S705 doesn't show missed calls.
When a call comes in while the phones music player or FM radio are playing, the audio is paused. On completion of the call the audio will play again, albeit after a delay of three seconds.
The headset hangs around the neck and the included pair of earbuds of good quality plug into the device. However, one of the best features of the S705 is the standard 3.5mm headphone jack, allowing it to be used with any set of headphones.
The S705's do give off a slight hissing noise during music playback. Apart from this though, the sound is decent without being outstanding. The S705 charges via either an AC adapter or a standard mini-USB cable.
The convenience of music listening and hands-free phone calls in an intelligent device is the primary advantage of the Motorola S705 SoundPilot. While the sound quality isn't all that noteworthy and the unit doesn't come cheaply, the convenience factor will be important for some.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia Lumia 830 review: Punching above its weight
- 2 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 3 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 4 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 5 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Abandoned subdomains pose security risk for businesses
- HP gives Moonshot server its first Xeon chip
- Australian ISP stands up to filmmakers hunting pirates
- Panasonic tries tablet service for assisted living homes
- What Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg said in Mandarin that so impressed the Chinese
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW