Motorola S705 SoundPilot
- Includes headphones but 3.5mm jack means you can use your own, caller ID display, decent sound quality, FM radio
- No hold key, fiddly control stick, slight delay during music resume after a call
The S705 SoundPilot is convenient if you want a hands free unit capable of wirelessly streaming music via Bluetooth. It's not cheap though and the sound quality isn't outstanding.
Price$ 174.95 (AUD)
The Motorola S705 SoundPilot is a wireless Bluetooth stereo headset that can stream music via any A2DP compatible mobile phone or music player. The S705 doubles as a hands-free headset, has an FM radio and features a small display that shows caller ID and music track information.
A2DP stands for Advanced Audio Distribution Profile and is a technology that lets devices stream stereo sound via Bluetooth. Connecting the S705 SoundPilot is simply a matter of pairing it with your phone, like you would a Bluetooth device. The S705 connected successfully and remained problem-free.
A small display on the S705 lists current track, and also provides feedback on battery charge and Bluetooth status. The four-way navigational stick used to control the headset may be difficult to control for those with large fingers. A call handling button and menu button adorn the right and left sides of the S705 respectively.
When the phone rings, a quick glance at the display reveals the number and name (if in your phonebook). Calls are answered using the call handling button and rejected by the menu button., During a call "on a call" appears on the headset display. The S705 doesn't show missed calls.
When a call comes in while the phones music player or FM radio are playing, the audio is paused. On completion of the call the audio will play again, albeit after a delay of three seconds.
The headset hangs around the neck and the included pair of earbuds of good quality plug into the device. However, one of the best features of the S705 is the standard 3.5mm headphone jack, allowing it to be used with any set of headphones.
The S705's do give off a slight hissing noise during music playback. Apart from this though, the sound is decent without being outstanding. The S705 charges via either an AC adapter or a standard mini-USB cable.
The convenience of music listening and hands-free phone calls in an intelligent device is the primary advantage of the Motorola S705 SoundPilot. While the sound quality isn't all that noteworthy and the unit doesn't come cheaply, the convenience factor will be important for some.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Optus moves into wearables space with Cash by Optus
- 7 smartphone trends to watch this year
- LG G5 to debut on February 21, going head-to-head with Galaxy S7
- As 5G approaches, 3G and 4G are still getting faster
- BlackBerry’s PRIV hits Australian shores
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Systems/SAN EngineerNSW
- CCMultiple Java rolesACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Crystal Report) 160115/AP/vhsAsia
- CCProgram Manager - Big Data - Telecommunications - UrgentNSW
- FTProject Coordinator - My Learning Space (Oracle iLearning)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCInformatica ExpertNSW
- CCOracle Developer - 3 month contractSA
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- CCService EngineerVIC
- FTPrincipal Business Analyst (SQL/SAS)NSW
- CCApplications DeveloperQLD
- CCPython Web Developer - DevOPS EnvironmentVIC
- CCOracle Business AnalystSA
- FTProgram Test DirectorNSW
- FTSenior Business ConsultantNSW
- CCHelpdesk SupportNSW
- CCMid-level DevOps EngineerNSW
- CCSAP Primavera Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCDesktop Support Engineer/Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCIteration ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC