Motorola MOTOROKR EQ3
Travel-friendly speaker system
- Compact, folding design, price
- Lacking in bass, distortion at higher volume levels
The MOTOROKR EQ3 is the perfect example of a basic portable speaker solution for personal audio devices. At this price, there is little to complain about.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
The MOTOROKR EQ3 is a compact folding speaker system that's as simple as they come. Its design means it is easily transported, making it especially handy for travellers.
The concept behind the EQ3 is fairly straightforward — a standard 3.5mm audio jack allows it to connect to devices such as iPods, portable media players and notebooks. Its main focus is on portability — the folding design makes the unit easy to transport. When folded closed, the EQ3 is almost small enough to fit into your pocket.
As expected from a device this size, sound quality isn't fantastic. However, considering the portability of the unit it does an admirable job. At a reasonable volume level, the EQ3 is punchy enough to listen to; its lack of bass is the major issue. Motorola claims the EQ3 delivers "rich, stereo sound with punchy bass", but this is nothing more than marketing speak. The unit sounds reasonable for its size, but it isn't going to win any awards for sound. Regardless, this is an issue for most compact speaker systems, not just this unit in particular. For the asking price, there is little to complain about.
A handy feature not seen on too many other devices is the ability for the EQ3 to act as an FM radio receiver for compatible devices. We tested this feature in and outside the office. We were able to get a solid signal outside, but it did struggle indoors.
The EQ3 runs on 4 x AAA batteries and Motorola includes these in the sales package. Motorola claims the included batteries will provide 12 hours of play time. Our suggestion would be to replace these with a rechargeable set, as this will be far more cost effective in the long run.
When not in use, the audio cable winds up in the battery compartment to avoid tangles. As the standard cable is quite short, Motorola includes an extension cable in the sales package, so you can position your source about a metre away from the unit if you wish.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Two Sony Xperia Z3 phones now support Android N preview
- Samsung shows off 'pink gold' Galaxy S7, S7 Edge
- Microsoft might be eyeing a Surface phone with a trackpoint/fingerprint reader
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- Android device updates: LG V10, Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, Edge+ variants score Marshmallow
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT
- CCIT Program Delivery Office Lead- Government BackgroundNSW
- FTData AnalystNSW
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- FTITSM Head of Service Desk & SwitchboardACT
- FTSenior Middleware Lead Shared Services (Support and EngineeringVIC
- CCJava Developer (front end)WA
- CCSenior Analyst, Applications - GDWVIC
- CCTransition Program ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, Loyalty projectsNSW
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager - HealthcareVIC
- FTProject Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Field Systems Engineer/Administrator - Multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTTechnical/Team Lead - .NetNSW
- CCICT Project Manager - Contact Centre/Telephony FocusNSW
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCContract Analyst/Programmer II (Drupal 7.39/PHP) 160427/CAP/vccAsia
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- CCSiebel AnalystACT