- Flip out microphone, Multipoint technology, compact and stylish design, excellent audio quality
- Automatic volume control is sometimes erratic
The H710 is a compact and stylish handset boasting an intuitive, flip-out microphone and Multipoint technology.
Price$ 129.95 (AUD)
Motorola's latest top of the line Bluetooth headset boasts the ability to pair to multiple devices at the same time. Its intuitive flip design also makes it easy to perform common functions while also maximising battery life.
The H710 is an upgrade to the previous H700 unit. It features a similar design to its predecessor, once again utilising a convenient flip out microphone and a stylish black and chrome colour scheme. In addition to answering calls, the flip out microphone also acts as a power switch – flip the microphone out and the unit switches on, close it and the unit powers off. Once you've paired your mobile phone for the first time, the H710 automatically remembers it and attempts to pair as soon as the microphone is flipped open.
A detachable ear hook can be adjusted to wear on both the left and right ears. Unlike many other Bluetooth headsets, the H710 doesn't sit inside your ear or use an ear plug. Instead it rests just outside your ear with audio provided by a small speaker. Performance is excellent – incoming audio is loud and clear, even in noisy environments, while our callers were full of praise for outgoing audio and often found it difficult to tell that we were using a wireless headset. Despite its excellent audio performance, we felt the automatic volume control could have been improved as it was sometimes softer than we'd have liked when calling in a loud environment.
Operation is straightforward and simple. Pressing the call button answers, rejects, transfers and ends a call depending on whether you tap, press or hold the key. As an example, rejecting an incoming call requires the call button to be pressed and held until a beep is sounded.
Pairing is also effortless and Multipoint technology allows the H710 to connect to two compatible Bluetooth devices at the same time. This is especially ideal for business users who may carry two phones at any one time, such as their business handset and personal handset. You obviously can't talk on both phones at the same time – the idle phone is momentarily disconnected from the H710 when a call is answered. It's still a nifty feature though and negates the need to purchase two headsets if you carry multiple phones.
Pairing with a second phone or device for the first time requires the first phone paired to be switched off, but from there it's a simple matter of connecting as you normally would. Once paired, the H710 will automatically recognise and connect with both phones.
The H710 uses a multi-coloured indicator light that surrounds the call button. The light flashes blue when paired with a device, is steadily lit blue when in pairing mode, and flashes red when the battery is low. There are also a number of audio indicators, such as a dual-tone for pairing confirmation and an ascending tone to indicate that the handset has been placed in mute mode.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft makes serious smartphone play with Lumia 950 range
- Hands on: Microsoft's Surface Book is a stunner as both a tablet and a laptop
- Microsoft to live-stream Tuesday's Surface Pro 4, Lumia event
- What we expect from Microsoft's massive device launch: new Surfaces, Lumias, and Band
- Motorola to drop Moto Assist, Migrate, and Connect in transition to Marshmallow
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW