Motorola DC800 Bluetooth Stereo Gateway
- Very easy to use
- Totally useless without purchasing another Bluetooth device, no controls on unit
An easy way to wirelessly transmit your music, but it would have been nice to see some extra features
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Motorola's latest range of wireless gadgetry aims to transform the way we listen to music. One of the most useful components in this range is the DC800, a Bluetooth receiver and transmitter. The idea is that using the DC800 you can seamlessly transmit your music between separate devices. You can do this in two ways. Firstly, you can send music from your computer and output it through your home stereo. Secondly, you can plug the DC800 into any device with a 3.5mm jack and use Bluetooth headphones to listen to the music. You will need some other Bluetooth device though; you cannot use the DC800 on its own.
Motorola have ensured that using the DC800 is incredibly simple; simply plug it in, press a few buttons and away you go. We tested the DC800's receiving capability in conjunction with Motorola's PC850 Wireless Bluetooth USB Adapter. The adapter simply plugs into your home computer and redirects any output audio to stream over Bluetooth. You can then connect the Wireless gateway to the RCA Audio in jacks on your home stereo, TV or any other compatible device. That's all there is to it, the system is very easy to set up.
You can also pair the DC800 with any Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. One disappointment though, is the lack of controls on the gateway itself. Seeing as the unit is designed to be used up to 100m away from the source of the music, the ability to pause the music or change tracks remotely would have been useful. Logitech have included an entire remote control on their Wireless Music System, and Motorola provide similar functionality on their Bluetooth headphones, so this lack of control seems an oversight.
The second way you can use the DC800 is by connecting it to either your home stereo or an MP3 player and transmitting music. Wireless headphones, such as Motorola's HT820, can then receive the music wherever you like. Using the DC800 in this mode is just as easy as before. Setting it up is a merely a case of plugging in the correct cable and switching the unit on. Both RCA and standard 3.5mm adapters are included, so whatever the source of your music you should find support with the DC800.
Essentially it is an easy to use, yet basic, Bluetooth gateway. It does the job, but for anyone only wishing to stream music from their home computer to their stereo system, we would recommend the Logitech Wireless Music System. If you only wish to stream music to Bluetooth headphones, however, it may be an acceptable choice.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - Wealth AdviceNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectQLD
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft ConsultantVIC
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)WA
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- FTLevel 3 Support AnalystVIC
- CCTest ManagerWA
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)QLD
- CCSenior Life 400 DeveloperNSW
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)QLD
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW