Mindscape SpongeBob Squarepants Typing
- It’s SpongeBob! What else needs to be said?
- Encompasses less material than other typing tutors
A fun little program at a great price
Price$ 19.95 (AUD)
Learning to touch type isn't necessarily top of every ten year old's list of fun things to do. In fact, we'd be surprised if it was even in any ten year old's list of things to do. Learning how to type correctly may not be as useful as learning a foreign language or perfecting your mathematics skills, but it's a practical ability to possess nonetheless.
The SpongeBob Squarepants Typing Tutor is the most fun we can ever imagine having whilst learning to type. Now, we appreciate that really isn't saying very much, as the alternatives are such zany characters as Mavis Beacon, but SpongeBob kept us occupied for hours; even though this may say more about us than the product.
The fun starts from the moment you install the program, which incidentally is incredibly easy. Up pops SpongeBob and friends to run through a wacky introduction. This little cartoon basically sets the premise for the whole program, that the inhabitants of Bikini Bottom are having a typing tournament and you need to help SpongeBob win.
The next step is to log in, as multiple people can each use the program. From here you can select your age group. Kids from 7-12 have a slightly different system with an adjusted learning curve, with everyone over the age of 12 using the same settings. Then it's off to start the tournament. This basically takes the form of a series of lessons interspersed with a few games to keep things interesting. The lessons cover all the basics of typing including proper posture, hand positioning and finger placement. As you progress through the various levels of the program the difficulty is increased, with more letters from the keyboard introduced and longer passages to type. If you perform atrociously on a particular lesson then you'll have to repeat it before you can move on. The emphasis is on learning to type accurately first then increasing speed later.
We found the lessons to be very engaging, with good use of bold graphics and bright colours. One of the best features is SpongeBob's constant commentary. Although what he says doesn't always make sense, such as offering commiseration when we'd scored 98% accuracy, it certainly livens up the program.
There is also a practice mode with a large number of texts offered, as well as the option to replay any of the games. These two options should extend the life of the product considerably. Our one complaint would be that it offers considerably fewer lessons than a fully featured program such as Mavis Beacon; but really, no child is going to want to sit through this many lessons anyway.
Overall we found SpongeBob Squarepants Typing to be an entertaining product that retains its functionality, all for an entirely reasonable price. In fact we'd much rather learn to type from this kind of program and it's a shame there's not a whole suite of SpongeBob products; word processing and spreadsheets could be so much more fun!
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Here's how Evernote moved 3 petabytes of data to Google's cloud
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Test Lead - BRT/UATNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence Program ManagerVIC
- FTHRIS ConsultantQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)VIC
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- TPDrupal Developer - Immediate startQLD
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTData AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- TPScrum MasterVIC
- FTDeveloper/ ProgrammerSA
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- TPProject Coordinator/Junior Project ManagerVIC
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- CCUser ResearcherNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC