Microsoft Game Studios Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is sure to drive hardcore fans of the franchise nuts.
- Gorgeous visuals, cleverly written story, deep vehicle customisation options
- Slightly repetitive gameplay, lacklustre multiplayer, a departure from franchise roots
Straying away from their platforming roots, Banjo and Kazooie branch out into the wild world of vehicular hilarity in this deep and satisfying effort from Rare.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
With gameplay that strays from its platforming roots, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is sure to drive hardcore fans of the franchise nuts. But don't get too uptight about the new vehicle-based focus-I found it to be absolutely charming. It works beautifully and really fits in nicely with the vibrant world of Banjo-Kazooie.
Nuts & Bolts picks up ten years after the events of Banjo-Tooie and we find that Banjo and Kazooie have really let themselves go. A mysterious figure known as the Lord of Games (LOG for short) sets our heroes on an adventure in the hopes of working them back into shape. Banjo and Kazooie are transported to Showdown Town, an open-world hub that links them to several Game Worlds where the dynamic duo can prove that they're still hero material.
The best thing about Nuts & Bolts is that it never takes itself seriously, constantly seizing every opportunity to poke fun at itself as well as past Rare titles. There is a hilarious script that really augments the gameplay. The graphics are also gorgeous and vibrant and the level design is varied and interesting.
The game's new vehicle-based emphasis will probably turn off some long-time fans but I really enjoyed the game's premise. There's an incredibly deep garage tool where you can literally build vehicles of all shapes and sizes from the ground up-if you can imagine it, odds are you can build it and the feeling you get when you complete a difficult challenge with a custom-built rig that you hand built is simply unmatched.
One of the downsides, though, is that some of the challenges get a little repetitive. You can only race and collect on-track items for so long before it gets a little tired. But Rare constantly throws unique obstacles and quirky challenges your way, which definitely keeps you from getting too jaded.
Nuts & Bolts isn't for everyone and some hardcore platforming fans will no doubt pine for a return to the series roots but I found enough charm and innovation in the vehicle based gameplay, cleverly written script and deep customisation options to keep me playing long into the night.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCTest Planner - Infrastructure/Data CentreACT
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectQLD
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- CCTableau ConsultantVIC
- TPTechnical Support Resource-Skype for BusinessVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystNSW
- FTLevel 3 Support AnalystVIC
- CCTransport Planner - GIS SpecialistNSW
- CCMarketing SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPMobile DeveloperWA
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)ACT
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPSpatial Science OfficerQLD