Microsoft Xbox 360 Communicator
- Excellent microphone, Low price
- Flimsy and fragile, Volume not loud enough
The official Xbox 360 communicator isn’t as good as it could have been but at this price, it might be good enough for most.
Price$ 29.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Among the many secrets Microsoft tried to keep before launching the Xbox 360 was the redesigned communicator headset. The original Xbox headset was a unique design but was notorious for breaking easily. It would clip onto a headband worn behind the head and was very comfortable but the clip itself was fairly flimsy. Gamers everywhere hoped that Microsoft would come to the party with a new headset that would not only be comfortable but also durable. Unfortunately, they didn't achieve this.
The official Xbox 360 communicator is generically designed and no different from any other USB headset on the market. It has one foam covered earpiece and an adjustable microphone but the band is thin and flimsy. The peripheral feels fragile and needs to be handled with care just like its predecessor. The volume and mute buttons work well but the mute has been changed into a slide switch rather than a button like its predecessor. The switch is consistent with the build quality of the entire headset and could have been implemented a little better. The headset is connected at the rear of the controller and fits quite nicely, continuing the attractive aesthetic, but it can easily be bumped and dislodged.
The sound quality of the single earpiece is a little muted and even at high volume, it is difficult to hear other gamers over the volume of the television. At the other end of the spectrum, the microphone is top notch and picks up voice well while cutting out a good amount of background noise.
Unfortunately, Microsoft's Xbox 360 Communicator isn't the headset we were hoping for and seems fairly low grade when compared with the rest of the system. Next generation gaming demanded a next generation communicator and Microsoft didn't step up as we thought they would. At this price, the device isn't too expensive but we still expected something that looks and feels far more sturdy, with performance to match.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Cortana coming to the Xbox One in 2016
- EA delays Need for Speed's PC edition to deliver more speed
- This week in PC gaming: Cliff Bleszinski’s LawBreakers defies gravity, XCOM 2 defies release
- Pac-Man Championship Edition DX evolves the classic formula—and puts it into overdrive
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate hands-on: Top-hats, bobbies, and a bit o' ultraviolence
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW