Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1
Judging by this beta, Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 is a promising update
- Revamped user interface, WPF designer is even smoother than before, new code browsing features, improved thread debugging
- Missing support for ASP.Net MVC and smart devices
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1 is a very promising upgrade to the premier IDE for .Net development. It improves the UI, IntelliSense, and Designers; supports parallel programming; and improves support for test-driven development. It's still missing support for ASP.Net MVC and smart devices.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010: Beta bugs and omissions
It wouldn't be fair to completely gloss over the deficiencies of Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 just because it's still a beta. We want you to know what to expect - and what not to expect - should you download and test the beta 1 product.
First of all, don't waste any time looking for the MSDN library for this beta. There is no local version; it's entirely online. We don't actually mind this; if your internet connection is down, you work for long anyway.
ASP.Net MVC is not yet supported; neither are smart devices nor the .Net Micro Framework. You can download Azure, Silverlight, IronRuby, and IronPython support.
If you're installing on Windows 7, as we did, the SQL Server installer built into the Visual Studio installer will fail. What you can do is to download and install SQL Server 2008 with SP1 separately. You can safely install either or both of the Express and Developer versions of the database.
We have encountered only one bug in this beta that has yet to be resolved. For some reason, after we installed the Silverlight 2.0 runtime and SDK, we could not debug the Silverlight projects. We're not sure if this is a 64-bit issue or an installation problem; we expect that the problem will go away at some point, probably when we install a newer version of the Silverlight tools.
In any case, ww're looking forward to the incremental drops of add-ons to the Visual Studio 2010 beta and to the next beta. It's good now; we expect that it's going to be great by the time it ships.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- FTContracts ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTPython Data EngineerWA
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst- BABOK,Infrastructure, Banking bkgndNSW
- FTDB2 Database AdministratorVIC
- FTTest Lead - HP ALMNSW
- CCHead of Enterprise Organisational Change- GovernanceNSW
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- FTOperations ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager (Application Dev. & Mgt.) 160906/PM/472Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCSalesforce CRM ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCFacilities ManagerACT
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160915/SSA/893Asia