Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1
Judging by this beta, Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 is a promising update
- Revamped user interface, WPF designer is even smoother than before, new code browsing features, improved thread debugging
- Missing support for ASP.Net MVC and smart devices
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1 is a very promising upgrade to the premier IDE for .Net development. It improves the UI, IntelliSense, and Designers; supports parallel programming; and improves support for test-driven development. It's still missing support for ASP.Net MVC and smart devices.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010: .Net languages
The Visual Basic and C# languages have both evolved in nice ways and nearly achieved feature parity. Visual Basic now has lambda expressions and implicit line continuations; C# now has simplified COM calling and dynamic language support.
Both have a new feature called type equivalence that simplifies deployment against different versions of an assembly, which is especially useful when trying to program against the Microsoft Office APIs. (Lambda expressions are anonymous inline functions or methods; in the .Net Framework they are used as a concise way to define delegates, and they're very useful when writing LINQ queries.)
F# is a functional programming language based on ML and OCAML, which uses the .Net Framework and interoperates with other .Net languages. F# was previously a research project; it's very nice to see it as part of Microsoft Visual Studio 2010.
When working with big Visual C++ projects, we used to dread making changes to core header files; it would nearly always force us to take a break while the IDE caught up. The IDE is now smarter about parsing files in the background.
The Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 C++ compiler now supports the lambda expressions, rvalue references, compile-time assertions, expression type discovery, and automatic type deduction features of the C++0x standard. Another piece of good news is that the VS2010 C++ compiler has a mode that is backward-compatible with the Visual Studio 2008 tools and libraries. This will make it easier for individual developers to upgrade even if the rest of the team doesn't want to switch over.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010: Web deployment and parallel programming
Web deployment hasn't historically been one of Visual Studio's great strengths. All too often, we found ourselves switching to an FTP client for deployment instead of using the deployment tools in Visual Studio 2008. The one-click publishing feature of Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 may well change that, although we have yet to work up the courage to use it on a production site.
The biggest new features of VS2010 have to do with parallel programming. We're not sure we've completely grasped the power of the new .Net Framework and native C++ support for task and data parallelism in Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, but what we've seen so far is impressive. A bunch of interesting parallel programming samples have recently been posted on CodePlex; we think they're worth checking out.
The Architecture Explorer is a client-side feature of Team System. Microsoft is now serious about UML modeling, and there are many features useful to programmers as well as architects.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCNetwork Architect - Cisco, Aruba and SecurityNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- CCSenior Security SpecialistNSW
- CCDatabase AdministratorNSW
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCOracle Pl/SQL DeveloperNSW
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- CCHR Contractor Retail ProjectVIC
- FTSAS Support SpecialistNSW
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCService Coordinator/HelpdeskWA
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- CCSenior Agile Java/Spring/AngularJS EngineerNSW
- FTService Desk ManagerNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCIT Project Manager - Data Centre ProjectNSW
- FTDefence Network Architect | NV2ACT
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCIP & Fixed Process Improvement SpecialistVIC
- CCDrupal DeveloperWA
- CCBI Delivery Project ManagerVIC
- CCPeoplsoft Technical SupportACT