Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1
Judging by this beta, Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 is a promising update
- Revamped user interface, WPF designer is even smoother than before, new code browsing features, improved thread debugging
- Missing support for ASP.Net MVC and smart devices
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1 is a very promising upgrade to the premier IDE for .Net development. It improves the UI, IntelliSense, and Designers; supports parallel programming; and improves support for test-driven development. It's still missing support for ASP.Net MVC and smart devices.
Although not without problems, Microsoft Visual Studio is the premier IDE for developing applications with the Microsoft .Net Framework and at least a contender for the best Windows-hosted C/C++ IDE.
Judging by this beta, Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 is a promising update.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010: Improved UI
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 has a revamped user interface that looks much cleaner than previous versions of Visual Studio, and uses Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) rather than Windows Forms.
We like the way this works, at least on a computer with plenty of RAM and a good graphics board. We give the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 UI a big thumbs-up, and it also supports multiple monitors.
Not surprisingly, the WPF designer is even smoother than before. Additionally, you can now generate data-bound WPF controls by dragging items from the Data Sources window to the WPF designer. Even better, the XAML designer for Silverlight achieves parity with the WPF designer; you no longer need to switch out of Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 to Expression Blend to work on a XAML design visually.
The new code browsing features are another win. Once you've learned to use Ctrl-Scroll to zoom in and out on the screen, you don't even think about it. Once you've learned the Navigate To shortcut (Ctrl-Comma) and the Call Hierarchy navigation, you'll wonder how you got around your projects before.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010: Debugging and TDD
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 has much improved thread debugging; given the increased support for multithreading and parallelism, this is a necessity.
Toolboxes and IntelliSense are now sensitive to the Framework version of your target project, so you don't have to wait until compile or runtime to discover that you've used a feature unsupported by your target. Again, given the increased number of possible targets, this is a necessity.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 has supported test-driven development for years, but it was always awkward to create new stubs and to synchronise IntelliSense if you actually wrote the tests first. Now you can switch into consume-first mode to keep IntelliSense from running amok, and you can generate stubs from their usage.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCFinance Analyst (Junior)VIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/XML) 160818/P/872Asia
- FTContracts ManagerVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/MySQL/PHP) 160819/SA/173Asia
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- CCITIL- Technical Release CoordinatorNSW
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CCDB2 Database AdministratorACT
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCData ModellerACT
- CCSAP Program Manager - CBDNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT